Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
purchased a 73 Lincoln Cont 2 door hardtop with 460 and C6 thinking I would transplant this engine and trans into my 55 project. Does anybody know what I would need to do for engine mounts / alterations etc.? Is this engine too heavy for this car? I will have Granada front spindles with the disk brakes, are these heavy enough to handle the 460? This is my first project so I will appreciate any and all advise! Thanks very much! :welcome:

·
Lost in the 60's
15,259 Posts
Welcome Ron...this is the Introduction forum....it would be best if you asked your questions in the General Hotrodding Tech forum. It will be seen a lot more there. :welcome:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
great stuff, thanks!

Thanks Kultulz! Excellent information! Now, if I could just get some info on whether or not the 460 would be "too heavy" for the front end of my 55, I'd be well on my way!

I appreciate the quick and thorough information! :thumbup:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
460 Engine in the 55 Ford

Thanks, you're great! I thought I had a bad valve (or two) in the 460 as it had the characteristic puff and miss under load. A vacuum test showed it was really good and even at 17. When pulling wires one by one, we found cyl 5 and 8 were "dead". We pulled the valve cover and checked the pushrods and springs which looked fine. I was casually glancing at an old repair manual and noticed that at some point (I just bought this Lincoln), someone crossed the wires. I changed them and put it back together, ran great with loads of power. Now, unfortunately, the key switch (which was acting up) has gone out and it won't even send a surge to the starter solenoid so I guess I'll replace the keyswitch tomorrow. UGH.

How would I increase the spring rate on the 55 springs? I currently plan on trying to sell the Lincoln as it's in really nice condition and buy a good running but maybe wrecked car with a 302 or 351. I'll use the 460 if I can't sell the Lincoln. I do have a Granada "coming" with a non running 302 that I may just have rebuilt and I'll use that.

Thanks very much, sorry to be a bother!

Ron :D

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
Rons1stRod said:
How would I increase the spring rate on the 55 springs?
By actually changing the springs themselves. With a 302, you may not have to change the springs, even though they most likely need it. It depends on the ride height and ride quality once you have the swap engine in.

Also, -HERE- is the answer to the reamer size for the lower ball joint resize on the early spindle (it is in the last post on the thread).

There is a feature of this board known as the KNOWLEDGE BASE. Click on it and you will find a plethora of information for swaps and disc brake conversions.

Thanks very much, sorry to be a bother!

Ron :D
:eek:

Why are you a bother? That's why we OLD FARTS are here... :thumbup:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again Kultulz!

Once again, I appreciate your input and help! I find the knowledge base info a bit overwhelming and hard to navigate. It would be nice if you could access specific topics pertaining to the various needs rather than having to spend hours looking at each thread for the specific info I seek. There probably is a way to do that but I haven't taken more than a couple of hours to figure this site out yet.

Thanks so much and have a great Holiday Season! :confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts