Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
55 Ford Fairlane Project 460?

Hi guys, Just starting my first hotrod project, a 55 Ford Fairlane 2 door post. I bought a 73 Lincoln Cont. with a 460 and C6 for potential use in it but I'm concerned about the weight of the 460 (roughly 800 lbs.). I plan on putting Granada spindles and disc brakes. Any thoughts on this? The Lincoln is very nice, straight and complete. I almost hate to take the engine and trans out of it! I'm thinking though that I'd be better off with a fuel injected 302 or a 351. Any other pointers you can make about the restoration or how to ream the Granada spindles myself would be appreciated! :confused:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Actaully, if the Linc' isn't too bad, it might be better to sell it off. The 52-54 Fords, were actually pretty light cars (Low 3000's) and wouldn't need much to pull them around.

Here is a picture of the chassis of a 53' Mercury, which should be similair, or the same as the one for 55'.

Might want to look into a front clip swap though, it seems like these cars had a thing for the front frame rails/horns/etc. rusting out, or atleast the ones i have seen around here.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Frosty

Thanks for the thoughts. The Lincoln is actually pretty nice. I thought I had a bad valve due to a miss under power but a vacuum test proved it was fine. After pulling the wires one by one and looking "casually" at an old repair manual, I noticed that two of the wires were crossed, coincidentally the two that appeared to have "dead" cylinders. In fact, both cylinders tested at 125 on the compression tester. After changing the two wires around, it ran like a top with loads of power it was missing before. Then after parking it, the key switch in the steering column went TU so I guess that's the next project before I get to do much else on the 55.

I'm thinking I'll sell the Lincoln if I can find a buyer and buy a decent 302 or 351.

thanks again!

Ron

P.S. Any ideas on how to replace the key switch (not the cylinder)??? :D

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,854 Posts
P.S. Any ideas on how to replace the key switch (not the cylinder)???
Contact your Ford dealer, Ford had loads of problems with ignition switches, maybe it will be a freebie. Dan

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Key Switch

Thanks Dan,

It should be pretty straight forward. I'm pretty sure it's in the cylinder so replacing that should be a snap. I was just frustrated last night!

Ron

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
The IGN SW on the LINC will be on the top of the lower steering column. It is actuated by a rack/pinion and rod from the actual key cylinder.

·
Registered
249 Posts

Sorry for the huge picture but, this is a diagram of a Ford Crown Victoria
frame, which, from the looks of it, the front clip would fit an 50's ford Car frame pretty decent, and you'd have access to some Police-Spec parts too.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Good news!

I ran across this posting on www.y-blocksforever.com, key in Granada Disc Brakes in search,it turns out if you use Lincoln Versailles instead,no reaming needed. I printed out 3 pages relating to swap, lots of info!!

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
Good Frosty said:
Might want to look into a front clip swap though, it seems like these cars had a thing for the front frame rails/horns/etc. rusting out, or atleast the ones i have seen around here.
It is usually the No. 1 crossmember that rusts out and it is available repro.

Did you ever get an answer to the GRANADA DISC swap?

·
Member - AMC/Rambler "guru"
1,774 Posts
If that 55 had a Y block in it to begin with, even the small one, the 460 isn't going to be much heavier. The early Y block is a pretty hefty engine, mostly because of casting techniques used back then vs. mid 60s and later. They simply couldn't cast blocks as thin in 55 as in the mid 60s. Most engines took a big weight cut around 64-65. That's why an early 283 Chevy can be bored 1/8" and still have plenty sidewall, but a 64-65+ model can't. The 460 is the same way -- probably weighs about the same as an old 272 (standard for 55, could be a 292 which was optional, but mianly used in high-end Fords -- from wikipedia.com).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts