Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is to bring everyone up to date that responded to my steering gear box issue: originally sent the box to Lares, got an increased bill of $800, got it back, worse then before (won't return and very hard to turn), talked to Lares, they made some suggestions, replaced all ball joints, one tie rod end, checked all other connecting ends, checked alignment,tried adjusting the box, no improvement. Sent it back to Lares, got it back with the same issues, no change. Lares refunded the total amount,$800. I'm out about $350 for all the shipping, about $1400 in labor (i'm too old and don't have the facilities anymore)and about 3 months of use of the car. Bottom line, the car is on it's way to a new owner/friend who's going to swap out the entire front end components. I took a substantial hit financially, but learned a lesson. One other thing the 55 box is unique to that year and not interchangeable with any other box. Thanks for your input, enjoy the ride. :confused::confused::confused:
LB

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Did you look at a Borgeson conversion box? This is power steering and probably the best way to go. They go for around $600 plus at least 6 hours of labor.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts