Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In need of highway gearing I am switching my currently installed 4.11:1 to 3.36:1 gearing. I have the appropriate housing for the taller gears. All going well until trying to "slide" the friction disks and plates on to the end bearing retainer - they don't fit. They almost fit - I pretty sure I could force them on with some mild hammer or vise encouragement. The old friction components slide on/off very nicely. Watching the video series put out by Webber State U shows the Spicer disks sliding on nicely and I have the exact same Spicer P/Ned disks I purchased from Corvette Central. So thinking they are just a poor production run I purchased a set from "West Coast Differential" that are from a different manufacturer. SAME PROBLEM. Anyone with experience please let me know. Seems all the differential shops in the Phoenix area are closed until Monday and I'm anxious to get back on the road. The differential is a 55P series.
I've attached a drawing showing the parts that don't slide. I'm using Fig. 38 and the part that will not mate properly is just to the right of Items A, B & C on the drawing. Item B needs to slide onto that part on the right.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts