Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have some pictures of these rears??? or know some markings that i can look for to confirm if it is a olds rear from that era??

I am help a guy build a period correct funny car and it ran a olds rear in it. I have never personally worked or even seen this rear so we want to make sure it's the correct one...

I do know it has left hand threads on the driver side axel, and a 10 bolt mount for the center section to the housing with one bolt on the top not 2 in a parallel line. It also has 2 big ribs on the center section on the drivers side.

Keith

·
Will I ever get it done?
1,025 Posts
Not sure about the 56. I believe the 57-64 units were all basically the same. Check this thread for some photos. http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/what-type-rearend-photo-102004.html The first post shows two shots from the rear. The third post by onovakind67 shows the front. The one shown here is the heavy duty carrier, with three ribs. Imagine it without the center rib and you have the two rib unit. The 56-57 will have leaf spring mounts. The 58-64 will have coil spring and trailing arm mounting brackets.

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
Check the bolt pattern on the hub------4-1/2 = Chrysler

I was not aware that GM used left hand threads on any of their cars or trucks.

Chrysler Corp used em til at least 1970 (per my 70 Fury Sport) but did NOT use them by 73 (per my 73 Fury Gran Coupe)

Bryan

·
Will I ever get it done?
1,025 Posts
I am pretty sure Bryan is correct. If it had left hand threads, it was probably an 8-3/4 Mopar rear. There are photos of one of these later in the same thread. And if you think Olds/Pont. rear end, you usually think gasser. Early FC (real early) I think 8-3/4 since Chrysler sorta started the whole thing with their altered wheelbase super stockers. (Now let's see what I just started :) )

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rear

The funny car is a 66...we have a bunch of period pictures that show the back side of the housing... And it looks like the olds rear in the pictures. I realized also that there is no pinion snubber boss on the third member. Did all the mopar housings have the pinion snubber??? if so then is defiantly not mopar.

I do no for a fact that some of the early olds used a left hand thread stud on the drivers axel.

Keith

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
GM did use left hand threads on some cars up into the 60s.

Don't think ALL mopar used snubbers.

Can we get a picture of both sides?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
As one example, the 57 Cadillac has LH threads on the left, RH on the right. It probably is true for later years or earlier years as well.
Chrysler Corp. used LH on left and RH on right and on some models bolts rather than studs and nuts.
Nothing is ever new in automotives except electronic technology. Systems may be refined and modifed for best performance, MPG, but nothing is ever really new.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rear

Bad rat thanks for the pictures....The one we have looks exactly like the pictures you posted...

Keith

1 - 9 of 9 Posts