Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 56 chev car.It has a modified 350.It has 3.73 posaitrac rearend.I have some homemade traction bars.I am trying to get better weight distribution on take off.It has air shocks on the rear and some weak stock springs on the front.I have heard that I should take the air shocks off the rear and put some weak shocks on the front.What should I PUT ON THE rear if I take the air shocks off.I am open to suggestioins although cost is a factor.It is also a 4-speed car. Open for suggestions thanks proge

·
Registered
744 Posts
The first thing I would do is move the battery to the back. If their is room mount it under the car, optima batteries can be mounted any direction.

They make what is called 90/10 shocks they allow the front of the car to lift, then keep it up, which helps put weight on the rear tires. However I don't think you would want these on a street car.

I don't know if you have tried adjusting the air shocks or not but you may want to try lowering the pressure and see if it helps. You may also want a new set of sticky tires some of the new high silica treads are pretty sticky and last a long time.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I would think the weak front springs would be working against any weight distribution and the air shocks if they have any air pressure in them could only be adding to this.

Okay I'm no seasoned racer other then a few passes down the track and street racing like any young guy tries.

If the front springs are weak how can they be doing any kind of work towards shifting the weight of the car from the front to the back?

·
Administrator
18,400 Posts
Weak or 6 cylinder springs is an old trick. When the car squats at the back under acceleration, the weak front springs will release more than heavy springs. The trick is to keep them released. Thats where the 90-10 shocks come in. They release quick and compress slow. At the same time, the back needs to squat and stay there. Those air shocks are counteracting that. More weight in the back helps it squat more too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Check out the Cal-Trac or similar bars such as those in the picture. Perhaps you can modify the bars on the car now to give you the opportunity to preload the springs. These things work extremely well.

In combination with a set of air shocks with slight preload, soft front springs and 90/10 shocks, you can create what the Junior Stockers, Modified Production and Gasser racers were doing in the late 60's...creating separation between the body/frame and suspension...really planting the tires

If you can spare the money, a roll control/line-loc is a great addition to a 4 speed car because you can take up all the driveline slack and preload the suspension against the front brakes.

This wagon, with a 383, 2000 stall convertor, 4000#, 4.11 9" limited slip rear and MT ET street radial tires runs in the very low 13's at 105+mph. It'll be comfortably in the 12's once the looser convertor is in it.

Keep your changes simple, watch what the successful racers do, and make only one change at a time.

Paul

1 - 5 of 5 Posts