Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this seems a stupid question, anyone on know trick to remove steering box from column on 56 ford cars???

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
The steering shaft is one piece and has the worm gear on the end. Complete asm. has to be removed from car (slide out of steering column housing).

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Unless the car or truck has a u-joint or "rag"-joint at the base of the column you will not be able to remove the column/steering shaft easily.
You'll have to remove the steering wheel, drop the column loose from the dash, remove any plates and insulation around the column at the firewall, disconnect any wiring that applies, remove the pitman arm from the box, remove the mounting bolts at the frame, disconnect the clamp at the top of the box which holds the column tube, disconnect any shift linkage, and slide the box and steering down and out of the column tube to the ground.
This applies to most cars and trucks through the early-mid-60s.

·
Registered
304 Posts
think it might be the same as my 59. Shaft and box are all one piece.There is an access panel on the drivers toe board section of the floor .If you disconnect everything the box and column will pull out thru the interior

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys. I thought that might be the case but wasn't sure.guess i'll have to do some fab work to re conect stock column to the new rack.
thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts