Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a mech. But I purchased this truck and am looking for suggestions on how to go about repairing the metal above the front window? If I had a doner truck I'd cut out the metal and weld in, but that's not the case.
Sky Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
111 Posts
You could go and get some steel, cut it to shape then weld it in. Before you cut the steel just use a paper sheet to get the basic shape. As for the damage to lip you might be able to use the left over metal and weld the gap between the lip and roof

Attachments

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,562 Posts
start by removing the windshield and see how deep this rabbit hole is. i posted a link to the chevy truck forum in another thread. there's a few guy who have done that patch before over there. obviously it'll require some donor metal, you might find some over on the forum. carefully check the A pillars, over the doors and back window too, as most of the time the whole roof needs replacing

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Are you restoring the truck or just want it for around the yard/trips to the dump?

I have fixed that the right way which involves removing the windshield and patching the places already mentioned.

But I have also "fixed" it the wrong way just to keep water out using silicone.

If it is say just used for getting wood or plowing the driveway. The silicone thing might sound bad. But it saves you a ton of work and prevents further water from causing damage.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im hoping to have a cruising truck . I also dont expect a show room truck. I have a line on a 283, 700r4, and hopefully a different axle. Can you purchase replacement roofs? Ive been looking online and cant seem to find one. if I had a doner truck it would be a matter of cut and weld.

·
Administrator
18,595 Posts
I noticed that you are in Manitoba. You are lucky in that regard, as finding a donor roof would be a lot easier than finding one here in the east. Place a Kijiji and Facebook ad for one in the Manitoba, Sask, Alberta areas.....might pay off

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Read through the thread linked below.

Take note of post 12, 29, and 31.

·
Registered
242 Posts
does anybody know if the cab of a m View attachment 619817 id 50s 9430 grain truck would fit my halfton?
Pretty sure the cabs are exactly the same! That should be a good donor truck. Check the lower cab corners, floorboards, etc for rust/rot.

If not, you can repair the roof. I did so on my '54 Ford Customline. Used some 18 ga remnants I had laying around. Did it in sections and fabbed the drip rail also. Came out good. Just take your time. Slow and steady wins the race!

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive lighting

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bookcase Automotive design

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Rim

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Bumper

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive design

1 - 13 of 13 Posts