Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
We have a '57 Chevy 4 door 150 with a 235 engine, 3 on the tree and stock rear end. I am not sure what gearing it's running on but would like to be able to take it freeway driving. I want to keep the 235 and the 3 on the tree but at times the gearbox tends to pop out of second and chances are I'm going to have to drop it to take it in for repair, so i was wondering would it be worth switching it out for something different and freeway friendly. Any recommendations as to what to do about the gearbox and rearend, is there anyway of making them freeway ready, do i need to switch them out if so for what? How could I find out what gearing I am running?
Thanks for your help.
Ruben

·
Administrator
18,636 Posts
From my experience, the most common rear in those cars seemed to be a 336:1......At 50 mph what is it revving at?

To find your gear...jack up one rear wheel....Turn the tire 1 revolution and count how many times the driveshaft turns......Double that and thats your gear.......So, if the shaft turns 1 3/4 times, thats about a 350:1

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Typically the 55-57 Chevy 150 six cylinder standard cars were 3:70 ratio. We used to cruise the wrecking yards looking for those specific cars for that reason alone. The chances of finding a 55-57 rear axle in a wrecking yard today is very limited as those cars are very rare in yards nowadays. The other alternative would be to buy a gear set and switch the 3:70 out for something more highway friendly.

Vince

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info Vince. Well i jacked up the car and rotated the wheel to hopefully verify the gearing issue. The u - joints turned 1 and 3/4 times in 1 complete revolution of the tire which equals to 3.50:1 according to pancho62. So is this good for freeway use? Can I change gearing like Vince suggested? I am totally oblivious when it comes to gearing.
Thanks for the help everyone.
Ruben

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,460 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.