Hot Rod Forum banner

57 chevy convertable conversion kit

15K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  redsdad 
#1 ·
I want to convert my 2 door 210, 57 chevy and I am looking for a conversion Kit or suggestions.. need so advise.

Sid

#2 ·
Sid, look back through the old posts in this section there was the same topic several months ago with much good info.

In your conversion there will be much welding and reinforcing, there are no kits available to my knowledge. Find the old post look through and if you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

HK

#3 ·
As HK stated there would be much welding to do as a convertable is made differently than a hardtop. Also the frame would have to have additional braces added for support. Additional braces would have to be added to the floorpans, etc. Of course you could halfass it and cut the top and possibly have a Carson top made. If it is a convertible you are after I would sell what you have and keep an eye out for one. They are still out there but price does go up everyday. You can still find ones that need work though.

Kevin

#7 ·
Here is reality!
If you want a convertible, buy a convertible!
A cut up hardtop made into a psuedo-convertible becomes a nothing. A nice hardtop is a worthy desirable car, a nice convertible is a worthy desirable car. The alternative you propose is going to accomplish the destruction of a hardtop, period. You will sink your money, time, and heart into a pit that probably won't ever see the light of day.
I'm sorry to be so pessimistic, but truth is truth.
Find a convertible and love it!
Best of luck!
I love technology.

#8 ·
pasadenahotrod said:
Here is reality!
If you want a convertible, buy a convertible!
A cut up hardtop made into a psuedo-convertible becomes a nothing. A nice hardtop is a worthy desirable car, a nice convertible is a worthy desirable car. The alternative you propose is going to accomplish the destruction of a hardtop, period. You will sink your money, time, and heart into a pit that probably won't ever see the light of day.
I'm sorry to be so pessimistic, but truth is truth.
Find a convertible and love it!
Best of luck!
I love technology.
:cool: Wise words...

#9 ·
converting 57 hardtop to convertible

knew of a person back in the 80's that used the 4 doors for converting, had basic frame construction as convertible, took minor bracing of frame, watched a video on it from a friend that was very upset because of this person passing them on as original convertibles. my friend is a national judge of restored 57 chevies, and judges sometimes at hersey penn. but if you do some search you may find neede info. i would not destroy your 57, just find a cheaper 4 door.

#10 ·
OK

First, the question is 6 years old.

This was sidtracy's last post.

Sidtracy did not say his 210 was a hardtop. Chances are excellent it is a post car.

All that being said, I would have to agree that cutting up a 2 door (or a 4 door hardtop) would not make sense. A four door sedan on the other hand probably would make sense. Real 57 convertibles are up there high enough that if - A. you really want a 57 convertible - B. you can latch on to a 4 door sedan cheap enough and - C. you have welding and bodywork skills - you can have a convertible for a lot less money than a real one.

Danchuk has most of the parts needed to turn a 4 door sedan into a convertible. Not available as a kit as far as I can tell. Based on my past experience with them, a call to them should get you a list of everything you need.

http://www.danchuk.com/03_03_conv_x_frame_assy.html#3113

As you can see, it is not going to be cheap. But I think a guy could definitely bring one in for a lot less than the $50K to $100K that real ones are bringing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.