Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 57 Chevy pickup that I did the Mustang II front susp. and mono leaf rear springs with QA1 shocks years ago. I have never been really happy with the ride out back.
What I am wondering is has anyone in this forum had any experience with aftermarket or custom rear suspension on 55 to 59 Chevy pickups ?
What did ya do ? How did you like it ?
Any input please, Gene

·
Registered
5,653 Posts

I have used a 4 link riding on coils ... before ... the above is a example ... but not a 55 -57 Chevy ...

On my 55 Cameo ... I used a 68 Chevelle 12 bolt ... made a custom crossmember with coil cans ... and made up a 4 bar ... rode great ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have never done the custom suspension you are referring to, 4 link, etc, however I have done a custom leaf spring suspension. I would reccomend using multi leaf springs instead of the mono leaf. With multi springs you can add and remove leaves to tailor the height and spring rate to your liking. Mine works great and is real comfy. Mono springs are typically pretty stiff.

·
Registered
559 Posts
57halfton said:
Thanks guys , great input.
Gene

Gene,
Before you go to extremes bolt on a set of Bilstine shocks. You will notice a much better ride.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Rear Sway Bar

Doubledick, Has the rear sway bar helped? I am considering one for my '57. I my suspension reading, it has indicated a rear sway bar can cause understear. Would you recommend one for me since I have a large z/28 sway bar in the front with my Camaro subframe.

·
Registered
308 Posts
tmeyer said:
Doubledick, Has the rear sway bar helped? I am considering one for my '57. I my suspension reading, it has indicated a rear sway bar can cause understear. Would you recommend one for me since I have a large z/28 sway bar in the front with my Camaro subframe.
I would recommend a rear sway bar for every vehicle you own.I just bought one for my 97 astro van.The rear sway bar made a huge difference in the handling and I have the large swaybar on the front.It was most noticeable when passing at speed on the highway.No more rocking side to side.The wind and my trailer stopped pushing me around as well.I noticed no under steer after installing the bar.I drove it for over a year without one.The traction bars affected the steering till I got them dial in though.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
solidaxel said:
Gene,
Before you go to extremes bolt on a set of Bilstine shocks. You will notice a much better ride.

I thought the QA1 shocks would work , they did work pretty good, but the big problem is the mono leaf controling the rebound. I have thought about Bilstine shocks, but I think I gotta get rid of the mono leafs.
Gene

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Deuce said:

I have used a 4 link riding on coils ... before ... the above is a example ... but not a 55 -57 Chevy ...

On my 55 Cameo ... I used a 68 Chevelle 12 bolt ... made a custom crossmember with coil cans ... and made up a 4 bar ... rode great ;)

I like the idea of the triangulated four bar, but I used a 67 Chevelle 10 bolt rearend and cut off the mounting ears on the center casting where the upper trailing arms went.
I'm thinking about the FAT BAR 4 link setup from NoLimit Engineering with air bags , Any thoughts ?????

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.