Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice from you guys about putting rear disc on my 57 wagon. It has stock rear end and want to put on rear disc or change rear end totally. What will interchange, bolt on. I have 14" mags and 4 3/4 bolt pattern. I hear about caddy's and camaro's, what works and what years. Do I need to buy brackets or can I get those off a donor also. Also is there any rear ends that could fit under the 57 easily. I have stock rear end now and I believe has 411 gears. Would like to have a more cruising gear. Have driven this wagon daily for over 14 years. Just put all new tubular a-arms and rack and pinion steering and the last thing to do are the rear end and/or rear disc.
Thanks in advance for all the advice here.

·
Registered
237 Posts
an 82 - 85 camaro rear axle is what I was looking for on my 55 Chevrolet when I was seeking a limited slip diff and disc brakes. I ended up finding a 4.88 positraction carrier that would go into the existing rear axle, so I just kept the drums.

The camaro axle will not be bolt in exactly. It will require some grinding and a little welding. Basically you are going to grind off everything in the way of mounting and suspension that comes with the axle and is in your way. Then you are going to weld the lower feet for the leaf springs in place (pay attention to your angles here, not rocket science but does require attention to detail). once that is done you can bolt it up and as I recall the width will be within 1" or a half inch of what you need.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Are you saying a camaro rear end with disc will slide under the 57 and only have to deal with the perches for the springs. Do you know the width of the camaro rear end. You said an inch or 1/2" difference, which way, less or more. Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.