Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What if.. '57 Chevy Bel-Air 2-seater.
Edited to similar wheelbase and body length as the T-Bird.

Thanks for looking!! :)

·
More for Less Racer
20,117 Posts
Um, that just doesn't look very good, rear of car is just too long compared to passenger compartment.

Move rear wheel opening back about a foot, then remove about a foot of the door visually so that the side spear flair starts on the rear 1/3 of the door sheetmetal while still maintaining the door opening length, and take about 3-4 more inches out of the roof length(too much wraparound glass showing) and you might have something.

Rear deck lid space needs to end up being about 2/3 the length of the hood/front fender length.

If you can do that, let's see what that would look like. Got to get the "long nose, short rear deck" feel going for it to fit the sporty car mold.

That's my opinion. ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Um, that just doesn't look very good, rear of car is just too long compared to passenger compartment.

Move rear wheel opening back about a foot, then remove about a foot of the door visually so that the side spear flair starts on the rear 1/3 of the door sheetmetal while still maintaining the door opening length, and take about 3-4 more inches out of the roof length(too much wraparound glass showing) and you might have something.

Rear deck lid space needs to end up being about 2/3 the length of the hood/front fender length.

If you can do that, let's see what that would look like. Got to get the "long nose, short rear deck" feel going for it to fit the sporty car mold.

That's my opinion. ;)
Thanks Eric, it's modeled after the popular '57 T-Bird. Here's an outline overlay of a T-Bird I used for proportional comparison.
After moving the rear section forward to shorten the entire length, the rear fenderwell and wheel/tire was moved back 1/2 the wheel diameter from original relative position and closer to the rear bumper.
Trunk lid was added to enclose open rear and fin positions were adjusted for perspective.
Passenger area rear roof line and window is similar scale to T-Bird as seen in overlay example. I liked the wrap-around window style vs flatter ones.
The door is original length and placement. I tried to extend it slightly but it did not look right to me.

·
More for Less Racer
20,117 Posts
Changes I was suggesting were for your already altered version, to make the rear quarter seem less visually long. Leave door rear opening line where it is, but move quarter forward 8-12" so that side spear "flair" starts on the rear 1/3 of the door, then widen B-pillar and reduce amount of glass wrap-around. Centerline of rear tire needs to be in line with bottom of rear window to maybe just a few inches back from that point, right now it is too far back

This is hopefully a better explanation of what I meant, rear just looks too long and out of proportion in current alteration to me. The long point on the rear quarter adds to that illusion.

How long does a typical rendering like this take you?? What software are you using to do it?? I'd like to try this myself on some ideas. :thumbup:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Changes I was suggesting were....
Thanks for clarifying Eric, I think I see what you meant now. I could have easily used a '57 Pontiac or Olds version of their wagon as well for this edit and may have still produced similar results in the proportions for this idea. Most people use Adobe Photoshop for their edits like these, but I prefer Corel PaintShop Pro Photo (less expensive). The time it takes to do these depends on your own editing skills, computer capabilities to run the programs at speed (vs click&wait), and any time it takes for you in just staring at it figuring out what to do next and how to accomplish it.

For me, projects like this can vary from just a few hours to a couple weeks worth of time pending the complexity of the alterations being made and it also varies a lot in the types of editing being done. I also strive for photo-realism in my edits so that may take a bit longer than those that don't care so much about the small details and alignments of the modifications.

For this, maybe try to forget what the other '57 Chevys look like... This was edited from a 2-door Nomad wagon image, hence the style of roofline with the rear window overhang. I wasn't trying for what a shortened version of the existing coupe or sedan might be, but rather a completely different model based on the popular T-Bird roadster proportions and yet with the Bel-Air bodyline styling features. Also imagine this with a removable hard top, just like the T-Bird or Corvette.

Extending the peak of side trim into the door panel would interfere with the door key lock hole, but that's minor. The wheel would've been in the position you mentioned, but for me it had looked too close to the door that way and with a really long overhang to the bumper, so I had moved it back a bit. In editing, I was varying the length of the rear window extending out into the trunk area for the overall size of the glass there, and with keeping the B-pillar and driver's window opening original to the Nomad. I'll try your suggestions and post that version in a while.

There are so many different car body styles out there, as one alone will never appeal to all. Imagine..it's 1957, choosing between T-bird or Vette...Both are 2-seater roadsters, but yet look different in their proportions. Which one do you buy based on the styling appeal? Long or short?

In my edits, I'm seeking to create what versions the manufacturers never made, or perhaps should have. What's kinda screwy sometimes about doing these edits is that I may done certain alterations like you had suggested and think "nah, that's not looking right" and do something else, then someone later suggests that very same thing off the edited image. Then I'm like; Arrghh, I had tried it that way at one time. A friend that was here watching me while I was working on this one had also liked the wraparound window on this vs a flatter style with less wrap-around (yes, I tried that too), so opinions and tastes in styling will vary.

BTW... notice anything else unusual in the image?
Hint; gotta look close, magnify or zoomed in before it appears. :D

·
More for Less Racer
20,117 Posts
Thanks for the program notes.

Side trim slight mis-align with door trim at front fender, and it appears that script on the rear quarter says something other than Bel Air, but I can't make it out.

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Now to me, I like the proportions. It's not a "Shortie", but it's also not an "El Camino" style of car either. Myself, I think it is well proportioned. And it is different I would like to see one built in reality.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the program notes.

Side trim slight mis-align with door trim at front fender, and it appears that script on the rear quarter says something other than Bel Air, but I can't make it out.
Eric, if you're referring to my question about seeing anything else unusual...
Thanks, but that's not it.That trim gap is offset in the original image, so I had left it alone rather than correcting what could be a factory flaw. And I had replaced the 'Bel-Air' on the trim with 'KarDan' in script text as my watermark or editing identifier in the image, but granted it doesn't show up very well here.

What I'm wondering if any of ya'll will find is still there...
Hint: He's looking right at ya'..

Here's the original base image...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
...move quarter forward 8-12" so that side spear "flair" starts on the rear 1/3 of the door..
Eric, Here's a typical "shorty" version, which seems more like what you were referring to, but yet that's different than what I had intended in the proportions.

And here's another hint for finding what's unusual in the first image...
He likes to drive. See him yet?

·
More for Less Racer
20,117 Posts
The shorty pic is how I envision the side chrome, but do it by shortening the rear quarter panel as if the trim was removed when you shorten it, then put the trim back on.

The main problem with the shorty's made from 4-doors is the too short length of the front door. Car ends up too short and out of proportion in the middle.

What I was thinking is remove the rear quarter trim from your original version, shorten rear quarter between door opening and rear tire about 8", move wheel opening back in rear quarter until center of wheel is under the rear edge of rear glass...then put all of the full length rear quarter trim back on and let it end up where it ends up on the longer 2-door door skin....thus making the rear deck lid and entire rear body a bit shorter without changing the 2-doors door length.

There was a pic posted several days ago of a White '80 Malibu 4-door turned into a topless shorty, if the guy doing it had just moved the rear axle back 12" it would have really looked killer, similar to a 2-door Mercedes Roadster. As it was, the rear looked too fat, too much body hanging behind the rear tires.

If you look at your T-Bird outline, you'll see what I mean about the tire centerline and rear of roof where it meets the quarter panel being nearly vertical in line, to tire just slightly back from that. That to my eye is a critical proportion when shortening something.

Just some thoughts.;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts