Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
my father in-law just bought a 57 fairlane 500 and it has a power rack & pinion..
This looks to be a bad hack job.
Has anyone here ever done this swap or know how to do it right...
Thanks in advance.
Eddie

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
did you buy a kit for this?
How did the steering shaft work out?
His has 2 craftsman wobble sockets welded together!! :nono:
If you have any pics. of this job please let me know..
Thanks Eddie

·
Registered
323 Posts
hi just my .02 here wurthit designs seems to offer a good design .Grandpaws speaks very highly of his system . if you check his website he offers many ford products . the only problem appears to be from a serious accident that happened to his wife. I ordered a rack for my 59 in early nov and have not received it yet. I have been trying to contact him since early december as he said around 4-5 weeks because i was aware of his personal situation i will just be patient .i realize as a small business like rick you can only be in so many places at once so i will just wait .his website has been updated so maybe things will pick up after the holiday in the meantime i'll just use my old armstrong steering and dream of the day i can turn the wheel with 1 hand .JEFF

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Guys!!
Great info. keep it comming.
I'm home for christmas and trying to help him get it runnin better..
We are putting in the new christmas stuff he got..

On another note is there a way to tell if the car is numbers matching??
Or is there such a thing back then... We know the car came with a 312 and the block is a 57 312 looking at the Y-block page but did they have part of the vin on the engine somewhere?

Thanks Again,Eddie

·
"Don't need no V/8"-grandpaw
260 Posts
57 ford rack-pinion kit

I just installed Wurth-it rack this fall .After getting burned bad by another internet bandit.I used a 59 colume ,auto,and built linkage for AOD.What motor are you using? Ex. system clerence can be problem.I have not spoke with Rick at Wurth-it for a few weeks.His wife is in a bad way.Get hold thru private mess. and get my phone #.WE will talk then

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
h8louzn said:
On another note is there a way to tell if the car is numbers matching??

Or is there such a thing back then... We know the car came with a 312 and the block is a 57 312 looking at the Y-block page but did they have part of the vin on the engine somewhere?

Thanks Again,Eddie
No partial VIN on the engine. If the engine code tag is gone, you have to go by the Casting I.D.Nos. on the components.

Do you have that information?

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.