Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody planning on going to downtown Tulsa, June 15, 2007 to see the unearthing of the NEW 57 Plymouth that was sealed in the undground vault time capsule on June 15, 1957 ?

·
Registered
585 Posts
no wish I was though!! I had a 57 plymouth suburban wagon once, it had been my dads daily transportation for a couple of years when I was 10 or 11. then he parked it and it sat for a few years, then I tried to resurrect it but didn't have the cash to fix all that it needed to be driven safely, it had the Polly318 & push button automatic only had 57000 orig. miles. I did get it to where I could drive it, brakes were just not really sporty. I eventually sold it for a few hundred bucks to a man wanting to start his first project. I haven't see it since.
http://hotrodders.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/26088/size/big/cat/500/page/
http://hotrodders.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/26087
wish I'd had the money to fix this one up, you never see them and this ole car ran and drove good when my dad was driving it everyday. :thumbup:

·
Will I ever get it done?
1,027 Posts
We may go down to see it. I would have to take off work. But it would be interesting to see if they beat the odds. First, they weren't really sure where it was. They say they know, but it will be interesting to see when they start digging. Second, if it is where they think it is, it is very close to a heavily traveled street. The speculation is that 50 years of heavy vibration may have broken the seal. So the whole thing may just be a rusty, gooey mess. IMHO, you would really have to be a 57 Plymouth fanatic to drive much further than Bugtussle, OK to see it.

·
Registered
585 Posts
1957plymouthhemi said:
Got my reservations, tickets to the unveiling, application for the open car show.......oh yeah and the car I'm driving :thumbup:
rockin car!!! I even spy cruise control, looks like the same kind that was in my grandmother 76 chrysler cordova. (land yacht for sure). Diggin the HEMI :thumbup: Enjoy the ride. Brian

·
Will I ever get it done?
1,027 Posts
Water, water everywhere

Not looking real good for the Plymouth.

http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/0607/431074.html

I am going to watch the webcast from work. My understanding is there will only be room for about 400 at the site. From the web site - Limited viewing is available at the unearthing and is reserved for sponsors, dignitaries and alumna of the 1957 event.

There will also be a close circuit broadcast - The Unearthing will be simulcast to Exhibit Hall A of the Tulsa Convention Center where admission will be free.

Supposedly, you will be able to see the car at http://www.oklatravelnet.com/#

·
Analog man in a digital world.
2,252 Posts
Doesn't look like they did a real great job of sealing the vault from the outside. Even if water didn't get IN the bag and that is a HUGE "if".......... I'm sure there was enough condensation to do some real damage.

·
Registered
99 Posts
what a bummer! looks like they could have saved the trouble and just parked it out back of the courthouse with the same results! the only way it would have stayed preserved is if they sealed it up in a steel crate and perged all the O2 out and replaced it with nitrogen. :D

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I was watching the video from the news site that someone put up on this thread and it looks like they did a close up of something that looks like a hole in the bag.

Also the front edge of the roof looks strange the way the canvas is shaped, like maybe it's crushed/rotted down?

Reminds me of the sunken freighter load of new 1929 Nash cars sitting under the great lakes. The divers said they "looked good", so 2 were brought up on a barge. You could stick your finger though the sheetmetal.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.