Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Fattys50
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice on an IFS for a 57' Chevy Suburban? I measured up a mid 70's camaro and it's very close to sub's width. Any opinions are welcomed.

·
Administrator
18,539 Posts
Thats what a lot of guys are using...............also up to 87 "G" body (Monte Carlo etc) front frame sections............

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have a Mustang II front end in my 57 Chevy pickup it's a stage 2 kit from Fatman Fabrications , Iv'e been driving my truck with this front end for about 6 years, it's ok but the bushings squeek. Alot of people do the Camaro / Nova clip swap, I think I would try that if I was going to do this again. The Camaro/Nova clips have bigger calipers and 11 inch rotors, you'll want the bigger brakes !!!!!!! Late Monte Carlo I believe has smaller calibers and 10 1/2 inch rotors. Check with No Limit Engineering , they do hotrod pickup parts and they have a video tape they sell that shows how to do a Camaro clip in a Chevy pickup.
Gene

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've got a 67 chevelle clip on my 57. The biggest difference between it and the camaro clips is that it lines up with the frame instead of being welded under it.
Kim

Attachments

·
31 five window
1,596 Posts
Kim 57,Really nice job, but if you install Camaro or Nova clip properly it lines up to. Just take a look at NEW INTERIORS photo gallery,he just put a Nova in a 58.I think people who put the whole Camaro or Nova frame clip under the truck frame must not trust their welding skills,No insult meant,But we just cut them off in the right place and line them up and weld them like you did. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
Kim57 !!I do my camaro and nova's the same way you did your truck.I don't put it under the frame,I blend it in the same way you did. :thumbup:

·
Administrator
9,894 Posts
I used a 1970 chevelle front frame clip on a 1957 chev truck. It fit good , drove good, sat low.

:D

·
Fattys50
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All of the advice is great. I have found some donors but I'm waiting a little bit until the some more snow melts to find one this isn't completely rusted out. I'm leaning towards the camaro. I want the 57' sitting respectably low. I have not welded on a frame clip before and I'm just trying to do it in a way that's going to be safe and correct. I'm staying away from the MII for financial reasons. I want to learn how to do this. Thanks everybody for the info.

·
31 five window
1,596 Posts
If you know how to weld and you have patience it is not that hard.First step is to measure your wheelbase before you cut your old front section off. This way you have figures to line up your new one.The camaro clip has frame sections that run back under the car. These should be level. Before you cut them off ,level the clip front to back and tack a piece of flat bar in the middle of the cross member level so when you cut your clip you will have a reference point to level your clip to your frame.The farther back you cut the truck frame the farther back you will have to cut the clip .The farther back the lower the truck will sit. You have to decide where to cut for how low you want it to sit.

·
Fattys50
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks speedydeedy, I do know how to weld and will make sure to measure twice and cut once. I have taken some dimensions down already. I just have to make it the bone yard to find the donor. I plan on taking pics to show the progress. Will the stock springs be adequate for a BB chevy?

·
31 five window
1,596 Posts
Yes the springs will work fine.If you look in NEW INTERIORS photo gallery you will see a 57 that I started and he finished. I put a 81 Firebird clip and a tall deck big block 427 with TH400 and had no problems with weak springs.

·
Premium Member
11,051 Posts
The car was set up to high in the front,so I cut it,And Z the frame 2-3/4'' to get the right look for the car.And the spring did go down alot,The a-arms where a little under level.this is a before and after. :mwink:

Attachments

·
Fattys50
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I checked out New Interiors journal. I will be using it for a good reference. Thanks for the tips. Hopefully coming home with a clip Friday after work. Thanks guys.

·
Administrator
18,539 Posts
speedydeedy said:
If you are not having fun get a new hobby. Creating hot rods is not work to me , it is therapy. :thumbup:
If it's not therapy........you will soon need therapy.............. :confused: :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts