Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm about to take a Chevy 327 out of my 58 Apache and put in a 1974 454 Big Block Chevy. I was wondering, does anyone have any prior knowledge or experience putting a big block in one of these older chevys. Our plan at the moment is to move it about an inch forward to clear the firewall possible, and I'm going to buy some fenderwell headers to bypass the steering box clearance issue. Should I look into buying some new motor mounts as well? or would I be able to use the same steel motor mounts attached to the SBC?

·
Administrator
9,900 Posts
Moving to Basics forum... Engine swap topics are placed here. Thanks

Ignore the 4 second wait message when posting.. There is a Software glitch on this forum that needs repaired.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
Should bolt right up with the sb mounts.
What front suspension you got?
Stock or modified.
You need to watch for balancer to crossmember clearance if moving ahead.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Should bolt right up with the sb mounts.
What front suspension you got?
Stock or modified.
You need to watch for balancer to crossmember clearance if moving ahead.
So its the stock crossmember, just watch for that you think? I didn't even think of the balancer being an issue. I figured I'd still have to get a shorter radiator hose and everything. I'd just rather not have to cut the firewall up or anything.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Take some measurements on both engines, they are available online with a little digging. I think it should be an easy swap. The only thing I think may be an issue is HEI to firewall clearance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts