Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 58 Apache pickup this weekend. My next door neighbor from my old house showed up in my driveway this weekend and wanted to sell it. I used to work on it with him all the time and couldn't pass on the $1500 price. It has a bowtie headed 350, a muncie 4-speed, and a dakota digital dash. The cab is in good shape but the long fleetside is too far gone.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is what I think I know about these trucks:
The long/short fleetside bed is unique to the 58-59.
The cab is the same 55-59
The stepside bed is the same 55-66
Some one told me the stepside box is the same for some years after 66 and I could put the 55-66 fenders on it.

Can I put 55 front fenders and grille on it, and if so will the peaked 58 hood fit them?

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
308 Posts
Kevin the 58-59 frame horns are longer than the 55-57.The 55 front clip wont fit without modification. Go to the Hotrodders Lounge and look up the thread "55 to 59 chevy truck owners" the guys there can answer just about all your questions.There are links for all kinds of things you may need.Start with the last post and read it back as you have time.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Yes the fleetside beds are just 58-59.

Stepside rear fenders from 55 1/2 to 66 will fit but "some" 66 and maybe late 65 had bump-outs pressed into the fender for backup lights.

Bed sides for stepsides should work for all those 55 1/2 to 66 years but the actual crossmembers differed in bolt patterns. 60-62 had a wider frame than 63-66. The cross members have reinforcement plates spotwelded on right at each bolt, so you can just move those & redrill.

I would think the later 67 up bedsides might be useable but will have all those fender holes to weld up & move.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.