Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am thinking of getting a truck to restore.i just got done restoring a 67 nova.my question is how hard is it to get parts for trucks.you can almost buy any part you want for a nova ,chevelle,or camaro but trucks i dont know.like it says i would like a 58 or 59 and second would be a 48 thru 57 chevy truck.just dont want to get a truck and then wish i didnt.thanks

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I know I will probably catch some flack for this but the 55-59 Chevy pickups have really crappy bodys. Finding one the doors close nicely on is nearly impossible. The window regulators are junk and the heater controls are a poor design, almost always broken off. The early 50s Chevys are much more solid and the 57-60 Ford cabs are superior in almost every aspect. I have owned them all and I jumped ship from Chevy to Ford trucks years ago because they have better cabs. I still occasiuonally get tempted by a 55-59 Chevy because of those great lines, but one open and close of the door usually cures me.

·
Violating consensual reality
365 Posts
I've always liked the lines of the 55-59 Chevy trucks. The only thing that bothers me is how they tend to rust at the lower cab corners and bottom hinge pockets. Of course all of the replacement parts are available but it all depends on what you want to deal with.

Strummin

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Early Chevrolet trucks had split years several times in their history where there were early/late versions in a single year. The late version is usually the style to come, kinda like today's 1/2 year designations.
1941-early 47
late 47-first 55
second 55-59
60-66
67-72

·
Registered
744 Posts
I have to agree with what willowbilly3 says. However all of these problems can be fixed and I think its worth the troble to fix them. You don't see many on the road and that makes is all the more worth while.

Jordon

·
Registered
308 Posts
Body style and brand name are all personal preference.My first truck was a 59 apache my current truck is a 58 apache.For me its about being 18 all over again when I get in and drive away.The after market is fantastic for the Chevy's and the Fords.So my advice would be buy and build the truck that you have always wanted so the kid in you can drive it every day

·
Registered
514 Posts
' 59 apache

I restored a '59 Apache about two years ago. You do have to expect to spend a lot of time on body work, and finding the parts is not a problem. This best sorce was from LMC and Chevy Duty. You just have to decide how original you want to go. Mine looked original, but put a RV cam, ported and polished the manifolds,overdrive, and even replaced the shims in the kingpins with needlebearings, ( really helped the steering ). You may as well make it into what you want, cause seems to me, the slighty modified or custom builds bring as much or more than the original, should you decide later to sell it , that is.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am partial to the 47 to 55 first edition Chevy trucks. Love em, know em. I recently bought a 59 which I never really liked the body style that much. Something happened from when I bought it and started working on it. I'm going to have a really hard time ever letting go of this one. Maybe it's the new hasn't worn off... I've started tearing it apart to put it back together the way I want it.... If I were you. I'd buy a truck I like. Doesn't matter whether its a Ford, Chevy, Dodge, or International Harvester... well... maybe not an International Harvester... really hard to get parts for.
Dave

·
Registered
366 Posts
If you buy any make, Ford, Chevy, Dodge, etc....from the rust belt you are going to have some rust, especially one that is 50 to 60 years old. Between my dad and I we have 4 48 - 53 Chevy pickups in various stages from not bad at all to ones needing a lot of work. In the midwest the trucks were used and used hard meaning there are a lot of dents etc. Get the truck you like the lines of and rebuild it. THere are parts everywhere for them. Good luck.

Barry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts