Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want disk brake spindles for my full figured 59 Chevy. The car sits the way I like, so I don't want the 2" drop. The car has a disk brake conversion now, but I would prefer new spindles. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
59 wagon man said:
why do you want new spindles if your happy with the ride height and already have disc brakes?
My son also drives a 59 Bel Air and he has had two spindles fail. Both were on the right side at low speed making a right hand turn. We've both been a little uncomfortable with old spindles ever since.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
poncho62 said:
But, what did you use to convert to disks?

I want to do the same....
I don't know the brand, it was about 4 years ago. It's basically a bracket that bolts to the old spindle, and uses an early Chevelle caliper. I use a 7" diaphram for the power assist, I had a 9" and couldn't get the valve covers of my small block. The pedal pressure is more but I like the feel of it. The conversion I use does push the front wheels out far enough where lining up the front end is difficult.

·
Administrator
18,397 Posts
Are the brackets from these guys?

http://www.scarebird.com/

I am asking because I have bought a set of brackets from them for my 62, which I havn't installed yet. They use later Malibu rotors and Chevy S10 calipers. I am planning to use my original power booster and a later dual master cylinder and matching proportioning valve..........Was just wondering how you did it.

BTW, I don't think there are any factory spindles that will match up with these front ends.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Question. Just exactly how did the 2 right hand original spindles on your car fail?

I had a wheel bearing seize on my disc-converted 57 Chevrolet and the spindle broke just inside the outer bearing race. It happened about 6 blocks from from as we exited the freeway. There was a sudden drop in the right front but no noise to speak of at all. As we made the slight right turn onto the feeder the car became hard to handle but as soon as we straightened out it was fine. We drove all the way home making left turns only and never stopped except at lights and stopsigns. Had the car not been converted to discs, the entire hub and wheel would have left the car possibly causing a rollover, definitely causing a heart attack!! I went to a local 55-57 Parts supplier, bought a used spindle, replaced the outer bearing and race in the disc assembly, put the car back together and never had another problem.

Why did it fail? Because I never checked the bearings since acquiring the car. Upon inpsection it turned out the previous owner had never packed the bearings at all. I guess he thought the anti-corrosion grease in the packages was enough to do the job, or assembled it and forgot to go back and pack 'em.

Other than spindles broken in this manner I have never seen a broken spindle, lots of bent, twisted, mangled, smashed ones but not broken.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
broken spindles

My son and I both drive 59 Chevys. My Impala has 200,000 mi+ and no problem with the spindles, I have owned and driven the car daily for 10 years including long trips. The other is a Bel Air which has been son has owned for 15 years. He has driven it all over the country and used it to tow cars back to Texas from as far as Washington state. It is a real work horse. About 10 years ago the right spindle broke between the bearings while making a slow right turn. The bearings were well greased, no sign of heat. 3 years ago the same thing, turning into a drive way, right turn, slow speed, spindle shears between bearings. This car still uses drum brakes and the round ball bearings.
Needless to say I worry about the spindles from time to time.

·
Administrator
18,397 Posts
My 55 Chevy had the ball bearings. I used 62 drums with the tapered bearings on it..........direct bolt on, on the 55 spindles. Just thought you might be interested.

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
I think I saw some new spindles available for the 59-54 thru
Classic Industries

Stock height and designed for disc brakes

yep--found em

BS7001 58-64 289.95

Will work with factory 11" or aftermaket 12" or !3" rotors
Bolt on steering arm allows for all steering systems.

Page 470 Catalog B2006

Bryan

Bill,
Have I seen that avatar car on another web site somwhere????
Sure looks familiar.

·
Registered
304 Posts
dump the ball bearings for roller bearing i think it is a stock bearing for a mid 70's gm.if you need i just got a wilwood brake setup and i can pull out the bearings and give you a part number

·
Registered
99 Posts
poncho62 said:
Are the brackets from these guys?

http://www.scarebird.com/

I am asking because I have bought a set of brackets from them for my 62, which I havn't installed yet. They use later Malibu rotors and Chevy S10 calipers. I am planning to use my original power booster and a later dual master cylinder and matching proportioning valve..........Was just wondering how you did it.

BTW, I don't think there are any factory spindles that will match up with these front ends.
mark, the guy who runs scarebird is a pontiac guy. nothing but quality stuff and safe when installed correctly. :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
bill, the stock spindles are 47+ years old. if the kit was installed correctly most aftermarket kits are well engineered. the last thing a company wants is someone to get killed plus get sued! find some stock spindles, take them to your local machine shop to check bearing surfaces and by all means get them magnafluxed! a lot of guys make the mistake of installing the inner bearing adapter wrong. here is a tip to correctly install one. the night before installing put the inner bearing adaptor in the freezer. take your spindle and put it in the oven at 200 degrees on old cookie sheet for 30-45 minutes. get a piece of schedule 80 pvc pipe slide inner adaptor on spindle and carefully use pipe to seat adaptor on spindle. assemble these parts the same as you would a motor, carefully! good luck :D

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
55 dude said:
here is a tip to correctly install one. the night before installing put the inner bearing adaptor in the freezer. take your spindle and put it in the oven at 200 degrees on old cookie sheet for 30-45 minutes. get a piece of schedule 80 pvc pipe slide inner adaptor on spindle and carefully use pipe to seat adaptor on spindle. assemble these parts the same as you would a motor, carefully! good luck :D
Don't you have this backwards?????

Such as-----warm the adaptor to make it bigger
cool the spindle to make it smaller

I honestly don't know----have never done this
But I have warmed up a crank sprocket so it would slide on---once cooled
it had to be pulled off with a puller

Bryan

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Spindles

Bryan59EC said:
I think I saw some new spindles available for the 59-54 thru
Classic Industries

Stock height and designed for disc brakes

yep--found em

BS7001 58-64 289.95

Will work with factory 11" or aftermaket 12" or !3" rotors
Bolt on steering arm allows for all steering systems.

Page 470 Catalog B2006

Bryan

Bill,
Have I seen that avatar car on another web site somwhere????
Sure looks familiar.
Bryan, thanks for the info, I'll look them up. By the way, in the last three weeks I bought four 59 El Caminos, most of them are junk but will try to make one good one. I love my Impala but want a truck to carry a dirt bike and maybe a couple of mopeds when my wife and I travel. There is a chance I'll be in San Antonio this Wednesday to see my daughter at Ft. Sam Houston. I would like to see your El Camino. The picture of my car has only been published on this forum as far as I know.

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
Weather permitting
I will take it to work on wednesday.

Fort Sam is very near where I work, And our Department also has an offsite warehouse only a few blocks from there.

I will pm you with a phone number after a bit.
Gotta go attempt to fix the T-Bird issue---wont shift from park.

Bryan

·
Registered
99 Posts
Bryan59EC said:
Don't you have this backwards?????

Such as-----warm the adaptor to make it bigger
cool the spindle to make it smaller

I honestly don't know----have never done this
But I have warmed up a crank sprocket so it would slide on---once cooled
it had to be pulled off with a puller

Bryan
00PS! you are correct heat the inner bearing adaptor and freeze the spindle :drunk:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts