Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Skylark
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was middle restoring my grandma's 59 Edsel ranger. Then I started it to move it in garage and hear something loud snap noise then tried restart it but crankshaft won't turn. I'm pretty sure engine is trashed. I believe it's 332 which is part of FE Ford engine family? I just happened got free 70 f250 with good running 390ci with two barrel. I don't know much about this Edsel but will my 390 bolt on this Edsel without modifies? I do not wish or willing do any modifies but bolting replace engine. But my grandma is willing spend money to rebuild original engine. I dont think it will be cheap to rebuild original 332. I just think she better off with 390

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Fe Fits

The 390 will bolt in, I don't know about the truck exhaust manifolds. IF they are the same. One problem with old FE engines is the exhaust manifold to head bolts get rusted and are hard to get out with out breaking. With the Edsel valve covers and air cleaner it will look the same.

·
Skylark
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
timothale said:
The 390 will bolt in, I don't know about the truck exhaust manifolds. IF they are the same. One problem with old FE engines is the exhaust manifold to head bolts get rusted and are hard to get out with out breaking. With the Edsel valve covers and air cleaner it will look the same.

Valve cover and air cleaner does look similar but valve covers has two bolts on top. Interesting.. what about pulley set up? Will original pulley buckets fit 390?

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
292 ?

If you have 2 bolts on the top of the valve covers and the distributor in the rear then you probably have a 292 Y block. Edsels used all 3 families of engines: Y blocks. Fe, and MEL lincoln based , I think some had 430's and the 360 Fe.Fe valve covers can say FORD, Thunderbird, Mercury, edsel . etc depending on the car and year of the engine.they have 5 0r 6(I think bolts) around the perimiter of the cover. All engines will fit with the correct ford-edsel. parts You can install an Fe, just turn the Y block motor mounts around. Some of the truck FE had the oil filter horizontal, I don't know if it will work or if you need a car FE filter casting.

·
Skylark
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
timothale said:
If you have 2 bolts on the top of the valve covers and the distributor in the rear then you probably have a 292 Y block. Edsels used all 3 families of engines: Y blocks. Fe, and MEL lincoln based , I think some had 430's and the 360 Fe.Fe valve covers can say FORD, Thunderbird, Mercury, edsel . etc depending on the car and year of the engine.they have 5 0r 6(I think bolts) around the perimiter of the cover. All engines will fit with the correct ford-edsel. parts You can install an Fe, just turn the Y block motor mounts around. Some of the truck FE had the oil filter horizontal, I don't know if it will work or if you need a car FE filter casting.

So y block accessories won't bolt on 390 FE?

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
some stuff will,

genarator with the right bracket, Starters will, Up here in the frozen North we used to get 6 volt Y block starters to run In our 12 volt FE , That way we could get the beast to crank over at 30 below winters with a 11 to 1 compression. , Carbs will but are different CFM rating , bore sizes are probably different. various transmissions fit with different factory parts, Stick trans with 292 used a top cover, FE used a T 85 Stick. I think Mels were mostly automatics.

·
Skylark
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
timothale said:
genarator with the right bracket, Starters will, Up here in the frozen North we used to get 6 volt Y block starters to run In our 12 volt FE , That way we could get the beast to crank over at 30 below winters with a 11 to 1 compression. , Carbs will but are different CFM rating , bore sizes are probably different. various transmissions fit with different factory parts, Stick trans with 292 used a top cover, FE used a T 85 Stick. I think Mels were mostly automatics.
It is starting sound like a nightmare to fumble around parts to whichever will fit. Maybe I better off having original engine be rebuild.. you think? By way, it's automatic

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.