Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering what years of steering columns will work with this wheel that won't give me problems with the horn or directionals etc.. I have been told that 55-60 will work, but he wasn't absolutely sure. What about 61-67 columns?

Thanks

·
Registered
150 Posts
The 59 wheel fits the 55-60 column with no mods. 61 on wheels have a larger diamiter hub and column. Plus the horn buton is in a diferent position. You can make the wheel fit by drilling the horn buton hole in a diferent position and by purchasing or making the top of column cover from grant to close up the gap between the smaller wheel hub and the larger 61 on column. I myself put a 59 Impala wheel in my 57 Chevy.

[ March 07, 2002: Message edited by: 57Chevyman ]</p>

·
Registered
1 Posts
Originally posted by gearhead:
<strong>I am wondering what years of steering columns will work with this wheel that won't give me problems with the horn or directionals etc.. I have been told that 55-60 will work, but he wasn't absolutely sure. What about 61-67 columns?

Thanks</strong><hr></blockquote>

·
Registered
5 Posts
Regarding 59 Impala Strg.Whl.;When I installed one on my 41 merc,this is how I did it. I used a chev. van ( late 70's) tilt column. The shaft is the same.If you do not want the key on the column,the van shaft will fit in a pass. car hsg. I had to face off the ridge on the back of the strg. whl. - not a big deal, used a side grinder and course paper.I had no problem with the signal lites but did not try to hook up the horn as I found it quicker to use the cruise button for the horn. Do not believe it would be a problem to hook up the horn in a conventional manner.Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts