Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m all out of options here. I’ve got a 2000 Chevy C3500(obs) cab an chassis truck with the 6.5 turbo diesel, when I bought the truck it would not start without break cleaner, but it would still run with a loss of power (yes I realize that’s not good for it). The previous owner put too small of a primary fuel line to the injector pump and completely bypassed the fuel filter, on top of that there was air bubbles coming from the cracked (wrong) fuel line. I re-did the whole fuel system, with new fuel filter, lines, tank, sending unit, and lift pump. It would now start on its own again and drove amazingly. Then after getting more fuel it shutoff instantly, was hard to start again and I was back where I was before, low power and won’t start on its own

·
True Hotrodder
1,659 Posts
I'm not a wizard on diesels but I do know that ether or brake cleaner, carb cleaner will do some serious damage. To save some money and grief, check the compression on it. I think you will find out that it is below acceptable levels and that is why its difficult to start.

·
Administrator
8,252 Posts
Fuel delivery problem. Probably something in the fuel tank, or the pump in tank is dying

Lift pump has 4 PSI as the minimum spec for pressure

You really need to get a scanner and look at any codes and live data.

The fuel pump driver modules are noted for puking.It is above the spare tire. Great place for an electronic module huh?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fuel delivery problem. Probably something in the fuel tank, or the pump in tank is dying

Lift pump has 4 PSI as the minimum spec for pressure

You really need to get a scanner and look at any codes and live data.

The fuel pump driver modules are noted for puking.It is above the spare tire. Great place for an electronic module huh?
It has a new tank, sending unit, fuel lines, fuel filter, and lift pump
Never heard of a pump driver module, it’s the obs style truck not a duramax. The code shows injection pump but it is new and like I said after I replace the whole fuel system it wasn’t in limp mode and starting on its own, then it went back to the same problem I had before changing everything, which ended up being air in the lines

·
Administrator
8,252 Posts
Verify the lift pump pressure. New dont mean its any good

·
Administrator
8,252 Posts
What code is it. What VIN is the engine ? VIN "F" or VIN "S" ?

Also , does this truck have 2 tanks and 1 filler neck?

·
Administrator
8,252 Posts
It ended up being air in the fuel lines from a pin hole
Wow , Glad you found it. I had a 7.3 a few weeks ago that had air in then system.Turns out the switching valve was not switch all the way to the tank being used and was sucking air from an empty tank on the other side..
You could'nt see it, but after pulling the valve and checking it.....

Anyway I am glad you got it fixed and I hope it starts a whole lot better for you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow , Glad you found it. I had a 7.3 a few weeks ago that had air in then system.Turns out the switching valve was not switch all the way to the tank being used and was sucking air from an empty tank on the other side..
You could'nt see it, but after pulling the valve and checking it.....

Anyway I am glad you got it fixed and I hope it starts a whole lot better for you.
I appreciate it, I just need to get better at finding an actual problem before just replacing stuff and hoping it fixes it. Not only was there air in the lines, the guy who owned it before me bypassed the fuel filter and used a clear 3/8s line as the primary fuel line.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts