Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of purchasing a partial engine ( ZZ383 ) from gm performance and then getting a 6-71 blower kit including cam heads intake and blower . Anyone ever find such a kit ?

·
Known traffic menace
81 Posts
Tony, Never heard of a kit like that, But I'm sure you could find someone to set you up with a combo. that would work for you. Ask some of the guys here that know about blowers and they will help you out. There's a lot of knowledgeable guys here. Perry.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Tony,
I don't know of a specific kit with cam, heads, intake and blower. If you give a few details about what you are trying to do I'm sure we can steer you in the correct direction. I wouldn't buy a GM crate engine with the intent to pput a blower on it unless it was a real mild combination. You need to set your ring gaps properly for running a blower. I have no idea what the GM crate engines use as far as ring end gap. That is not an area to guess. There are a lot of mail order/crate engine dealers out there that can set up your short block for you. That way you will know it is built for use with a blower. If you buy a generic GM crate engine, you will have to tear it down anyway to prep it for blower use. Your crank will have to come out, to have either a double keyway or extened keyway cut (I personally prefer extended over double). You will aslo want a short water pump, keep the compression around 8:1. Since you are new to blowers I would suggest picking up the book called "Street Supercharging" by SA Designs, it is an excellent book that will really help you get up to speed.

Don't get me wrong I am not trying to discourage you, you will love the blower. Just make sure you do it right so you can enjoy it without problems. You can buy a complete blown engine from Speed-O-Motive, it will be custom built and you can have it tailored to your needs, when it's all said and done, it won't cost you anymore than buying a GM crate engine, prep'ing it right, buying a set of heads, cam, and blower kit. Don't forget carbs, linkage, scoop and air cleaners.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts