Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Hotrodders.com Administrator
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've all seen reasonable political conversations degrade into uncivilized exchanges of the liberal/conservative propaganda of the day. Smart hotrodders who can easily see through clever parts manufacturers' marketing tactics seem to more easily fall prey to those same marketing tactics when they are employed by politicians or media sources.

The only reasonable, nonpartisan effort we can make to weather the situation is to encourage people to educate themselves, regardless of their political preferences -- and to seek out information from as many sources as possible. Obviously, politics is not physics. There are no solid laws to fall back on, and a "neutral" or "unbiased" position is usually impossible. Nevertheless, here are some websites that I've found useful when attempting to research political fact and fiction.

Google News -- by constantly scanning thousands of news websites, Google News aggregates news stories from all over the world. You'll find searchable news coverage from many countries, including sharply contrasting views of all types. Since the news stories are ordered by computer algorithm, rather than by a human editor, they are less likely to be biased in any one direction. Google news offers news stories from all over America and the entire world. Example searches: American presidential election, American federal budget.

Wikipedia.org -- powered by the collaborative publishing concept known as "wiki", Wikipedia.org is a categorized, searchable encyclopedia written by contributors from all over the world. If there is a political concept you would like to better understand (ex: what exactly does the secretary of defense do?, how does the electoral college work?), Wikipedia is an excellent place to start. Wikipedia encourages "neutral point of view" (NPOV) writing, but since it is written by thousands of volunteer editors, you are bound to encounter partisan viewpoints. When reading articles, keep an eye out for the text: "The neutrality of this article is disputed" to indicate that someone felt that the article did not meet NPOV standards.

FactCheck.org -- run by the Annenberg Public Policy Center, a University of Pennsylvania-based think tank, FactCheck.org seeks to dissect political advertisements and rumors in an attempt to separate facts from semantic doublespeak. The Annenberg Public Policy Center reports itself as nonpartisan and nonprofit, and its website states that it accepts no funding from corporations, political parties, unions, or lobbyists. Example articles: Anti-Bush Ad Overstates Case Against Halliburton, Kerry Health Care Ad: Exaggerated, But Mostly on Target.

Snopes.com -- Snopes has a reputation as a rumor debunker, and has some reasonable coverage of common political rumors and propaganda. However, Snopes casts aside a more professional reputation for a grittier "no-BS" stance. Examples of debunked rumors: George Bush has the lowest IQ of all presidents of the past 50 years, John Kerry's Vietnam War service medals were earned under "fishy" circumstances.

OpenSecrets.org -- funded by the Center for Responsive Politics, a Washington DC-based think tank, OpenSecrets.org tracks financial contributions in politics, and their effect on public policy. They report themselves as nonpartisan and nonprofit. You can find the exact amount of campaign contributions by individuals, organizations, and special interest groups, and you can find out where each candidate gets his or her campaign funds. Example searches: Teamsters Union, American Medical Association.

CampaignSearch.com -- run by StreamSage, a private business based in Washington, DC, CampaignSearch.com uses new spoken-language-analysis technology to contextually analyze political audio and video files. This enables users to perform searches on political terms, and view related audio and video clips from multiple sources. CampaignSearch.com even searches through each individual audio or video clip to pinpoint the reference to the term you are searching on. CampaignSearch.com includes audio and video files from major US political parties, as well as well-known third-party news sources. Example searches: health care, Iraq.

·
Are we having fun yet?
213 Posts
That's super Jon. Now I know why all of the 20,000 + members heep you around.:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Norm.

·
NEVER use credit cards!
3,110 Posts
i'll check them out. if you come across any sites that give the names of all of an areas local candidates running for state or city offices please add them. thanks jon. you rock dog. (ugh, did i say that?)

great place to research Bills in congress at Thomas.com (thomas jefferson that is,) like, for example this bill to re-institute the DRAFT! http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query

·
or Jeff, or Doc, or...
989 Posts
Good job, Jon. But thats only half the battle. Now we need to make sure they read BOTH sides of an event and come up with THEIR OWN conclusion. Not just take sides. Actually try to weed out the truth from the "spin".

"Only then, grasshopper...." :thumbup:

Sam-

Do a google search with the town/city name and "Syracuse New York candidate" or what position "New York State Senator Race". You may weed through a few, but you'll find it !

Jeff

·
NEVER use credit cards!
3,110 Posts
i went to the libertarian site and took this test to see what party's platform i fit the best and was suprised to see i was least libertarian, although i am voting for them to legalize medical marijuana and forget the "War on drugs" (hahahaha), turns out i scored highest on the green party, second almost tied the Dems 3rd rep. last Libs. take it here: http://www.lp.org/issues/platform/compare/platlong.html

oh yeah beenaway... i live in washington bro. i'll do that tho. but i still wanna be King tho man!

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,622 Posts
Finally- what we all can trust; an equal person who bashes both "war monger" Bush and JOhn KErry the flipper.

www.michaelsavage.com

This guy is a talk radio show host of the "Savage Nation":welcome:

It's great; I'm an 18 year old car guy and I like it.:) It's not your librarian's boring talk radio about how classical music reminds mr.annoying about texture.:thumbup: He revaeals the truth of the moden democratic party, and the truth of the modern republican party. If this were the old days (WW2) I'd vote democrat. We need a guy like roosevelt again. Or fast forward into the gas crunches, I'd fo Repub for Regan. I don't see any Regan or any FDR in JOhn KErry or Bush. So, guys and girls out there in hotrod:D land, it's choosing the best of two evils.:eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts