Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1961 170 ford in a falcon was wondering how to adjust them valves.every body said that it had probly had solid lifters.but motor was rebuilt and can it be posible that its got hydralic valves.i set the valves as if they were solids.and know its poping out uf the carb and the valves are bearly opening.when i set the valves u can push ou the back of the rockerand push the lifter back down.does that mean there hydralic.and if thats the case how do u adjust them.

·
Registered
7,518 Posts
it does indeed have hydraulic lifters. you can tighten them up a bit.. don't know the spec to do it by hand ( like you did ).. but you can do hydraulics with the cover off and engine running.. just adjust them until they don't rattle and it runs good.. but don't over tighten them

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hydralic

matt167 said:
it does indeed have hydraulic lifters. you can tighten them up a bit.. don't know the spec to do it by hand ( like you did ).. but you can do hydraulics with the cover off and engine running.. just adjust them until they don't rattle and it runs good.. but don't over tighten them
hello matt u say it does have hydralic is that becaues i can push the back of the the rocker arm down.owe by the way the forum says yor mail box is full.I went to another web site called fordsix.com they give hydralic valve adjustments they say tdc#1 and back off the aDjuster nut till u can spin the rod in your finger tips then tighten down the nut til the rod stops spining.and turn 1/4 turn do both #1 intack and exhast and then u can also do#2int 3ex 4int 5ex,then go to tdc#6 and do #2ex #3int#4ex#5intand #6intand exhaust.let me know what u think

·
Registered
7,518 Posts
.. if you can push on the pushrod and feel it give, it probably does have hydraulics and that would explain why it was running bad when adjusted like it had solids... I'm actully a member of Ford Six.. havn't been around much there lately, but a guy on there is the 1 that bought my Falcon.. drove all the way from Mississippi to get it.... most of the help I got for my car when I was building it came from there.. so I would trust what they say.. that method of adjustment sounds very logical

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.