Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm considering purchasing a 62 Bel Air Bubble top 409/409 car that has had a frame off restoration. The problem I'm having is the people are saying it's a date code correct car and will guarantee that it is a original 409 car. It used to race in the Klamath falls Ore area in the 60's (Running Bear). But the block does not have any #s stamped on it (passengers side front). So does this mean that it's not the original block? I would assume that the original block probably was replaced long ago. The head and carb #s match etc. I just don't want to put out this kind of $$ if it's a clone car etc. thanks guys, RT.

·
Administrator
18,438 Posts
If those numbers have been ground off, it could have been decked......or...it was done because it isn't a numbers matching motor. There are other ways to check. The block casting numbers may tell you.

the car body itself can be checked by decyphering the plate on the firewall. It lists the body style, options etc.

It will take some research to find out. If the owner gives you a hard time that you want to do this, be leary...............Don't just take his word for it.

·
Home School Valedictorian
1,639 Posts
Starman, I think you are correct in your assumption that the engine has long since been replaced. Once the ID numbers are removed from the block there is no way to tell for sure that the engine is the original. What they are telling you is that the block, by the date cast into it was produced in the months just prior to the car being built. That is an acceptable way of restoring.
The heads and intake will have the casting dates also (most cast parts will have the date on them.) In the case of Fords and some others they did not put the VIN on the block and you have no way of knowing if the original engine is still in them.
You should be able to find the build codes on the net.
The 62 409 is a very nice car, and can bring big $$$.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
409 Bel Air

Thanks for the help, all the codes etc. match on the data plate, I guess it would be just about impossible to find a bel air with this history that would have the same block as it did from new. The folder of receipts show 7 years of restoration and over 75k spent. I'll do some more research to make sure, thanks again, RT.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
One last thing to keep in mind is the price. A numbers matching car will bring the highest price. A date code correct car will be worth a little less. How much less is up to the buyer but just remember that if you do pay "top dollar" for the car you might have a little trouble getting all your money back out of it when it comes time to sell. Like I said just something to keep in mind.

Centerline

·
Registered
74 Posts
Starman

You may want to check out this site:

www.mortec.com

They have block, head, and manifold casting numbers and should be a guide for your research. Or it just may confirm what you have already found out.

You will have to scroll down when the site opens for the 409 and 348 listings.

Hope it helps.

Pappy

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
There is a saying! There are more big block 60's vettes, Z28's
for sale at any given time than were made to Begin with.

I met a guy a year ago making a 409 clone right down to re stamping the engine block to buying a new data plate.
He was nice enough to teach me how to remake the stamping in raised letters. Not that I care but it was interesting.

Over the years I have owned 77 or 78 50's-60's vettes and judged them.
No way would I buy one today unless it was my grandmother that owned it since new.

I would get a build sheet and have a machinist check the engine codes out.

The 409's and 406's are now getting enough money that fraud is very worth while.

·
Registered
0 Posts
62 409 similar boat

62 bel air 409 experts - new to this, but in similar boat with previous 62 409 questions. I am considering buy a 62 bel air 409 car that the owner has told me up front does not have the original engine. it does have a 62 coded 409/409 hp engine in it with dual quads, etc. my question is this - is there any way to confirm if the car originally had a 409 in it when new vice a 283/327? The VIN only goes as far as to show it ws a V* vice L6. Any ideas? He's asking 27K for this car and it is in good shape, I believe easily worth it if it has a replacement engine and was originally a 409 car, but if it was originally a small block car, then it may not be worth it. he's been up front, but just not sure if the car is worth the $ if not a 409 car originally, regardless of the fact it is not the original engine in it right now. Guess I need to decide if its worth it to me! any help appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Block casting # for 62-63 409 3788068

head casting # for62-63 409 3815690 High Perf,

Head casting # for 62-TRUCK 3815643 Industral

·
Registered
0 Posts
bel air 409

thanks for the casting numbers - still have a minor question - is there any way to determine if the bel air itself actually came with a 409 (i.e. any 409, not the one currently in it) vice 283 or 327? I'm ok with a correct replacement engine in an original 409 car, but not necessarily a 409 Bel Air "clone" that someone dropped in an original small block car. Any idea how to find out the original engine type that came in the car?
Thanks again,

·
Registered
547 Posts
I think the plate with the vin #'s should show the body style, assembly plant, motor designation, transmission , etc,, some even show the color code,, not sure that the 409 was available in a Bel-Air, but maybe they were,,
good luck,,, got any pictures of this bad boy??? Bill

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Have you seen this site? It looks like all the vin will tell you is if it had a V8 or L6. I think you would need a build sheet to tell if it had a 409. It wasn't until the 70's that the vin gave a cubic inch designation. That is why there are so many hi performance early Chevy's out there. Very few standard models seem to have survived!!!! :D

http://www.yearone.com/updatedsinglepages/Id_info/Impala/fullszvinplts.asp

1 - 15 of 15 Posts