Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

Its been a while since ive been on here but after getting the old truck ready for the season I defiantly need some ideas. I have a 62 GMC with a ls swap and a th400 that is having some brake issues, or lack of brakes. The front calipers are 79 chevy truck calipers with newer pads and rotors ( 0 clearance) and in the rear I have a new pair of Cadillac Eldorado calipers with fresh pads and rotors. This is all mounted on a ford 9". The master cylinder is a New 1" bore corvette style unit. Off the master I have a willwood adjustable prop valve.

The issue I'm having, after bleeding all 4 corners with a power bleeder @ 10 psi I still have a too the floor pedal. After 1 or 2 pumps it firms up just past 1/2 of the master travel. I have confirmed that the ebrake is set properly in the rears with the pads close to the rotor. .010" to be exact. I have played around with a hose clamp and when I block both rear calipers the pedal goes firm half way.. but when I clamp each rear caliper individually it will firm up about 3/4 of the pedal travel.

Hopefully you guys can shed some wisdom my way on what I'm missing.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
with late 79s seville and eldorado rear disc brake calipers.. see if the parking brake lever will only move between 3/8 and 7/16 of an inch off the stop on the caliper..

i think that your 0.010 gap might be too wide..

have a look at my attachment..

i used to specialize in the seville and eldorados of the mid to late 70s..

i could adjust the rear calipers on most in 20 or 30 minutes without needing to replace the calipers.. people spread the word about where i worked.. the worst part... on my days off. . the other techs would always replace the master cylinder twice before pulling the rear wheels or even depressing the parking brake pedal.. if it goes more than about 1/2 way down.. the main brake pedal will be all the way to the floor..

i am also hoping that you have the calipers on the brackets with the bleeder screws up high.. seville and eldorado calipers have different bleeder screw locations.. and different cable locations.. some are low and some are high..

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I checked the lever and they are both with in 1/4" of the stop. A small pull of the ebrake lever stops the truck dead

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.