Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need a subframe what will fit with minimum problems ??

power brakes they make them for the ford econoline trucks (vans the same underneath) will it fit? will i need to change the rest of the brake system??

thats all for now im sure ill have more later

thanks

·
Glad the Jeep is on the road
809 Posts
What a classic

You have a neat old vehicle, built in Lorain Ohio about 3 miles from where I sit right now.

The early "falcon van" which morphed into the large econoline of today was built as a different body put onto what was basically a Falcon frame....

This model is before my time messing with them (my first was a '69, and I know more about the '75 "Nantucket" and '89 "VN58" versions) but my recollection is that most of the Falcon and Econoline underbody parts were pretty much interchangable. Don't bank on it but that's what I would check. Should be no difference between any "Falcon" and "Econoline" or van and wagon designations for runnign gear.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats interesting it was built 3 miles from you

its unibody and i love driving it so far im not a big street racer but since ive had it ive wasted a mustang a 90's caprice and a small honda

(the honda was one of them gotta do it things)

the suspension sucks especially with low profile 15's on it i feel every groove in the road if i cant get the answers to the ifs questions ill probably end up four linking the front which i beleive will give me somewhat of the suspension im loooking for with bags.

we have a 67 econoline pick up as well and everything is the same except the bed :D

its definatly a one off as i cant find no pics of another one or any information on it at all :pain:

·
809 Posts
I've seen those pickups too, but they didn't build many. They are a neat item.

I'll check with some of the old-timers who were back at the plant in the day, maybe I can find you some reference material or a place to do some research.

It being unibody, you might be able to make a mustang II front system work, they are very popular retrofits on drag cars these days -- Jeg's sells an all new one. But you would need to do some measuring to make sure it would fit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was looking at the front of an 80's mustang 5.0 today its a strut car but the whole front just bolts in since ill be using bags for suspension i think this is the way i will go.

not real sure on it yet tho :dunno:

·
Registered
15 Posts
did you get your brakes working?

I have a 63 falcon econoline as well and am in need of some info on how to put disk brakes on it in all 4 corners. Any ideas?

·
809 Posts
If you use the Mustang or a Mustang II front, that's easy. On the rears, well, I am not sure which axle you have.....

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
The early Econoline Fords in the states used a beam type front axle. We used a lot of them building the old Gas class drag cars. I have two of them out in the barn yet, circa 64-65.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the input. I thought of a mustang front end but I just found a kit for TSM and another from D&D brakes that will do the fronts and I think the TSM guy can set up the rears with a little info on back plate bolt sizes and spacing.

this might be an easier way (though not quite as cool) than the mustang route. I have a time fram to work with so I must save some tweaking for later.

·
A Half Crippled Old SOB....
807 Posts
howdee nieghbor from across the river. if you want the easiest way to do this then use a universal M2 subframe for it, UNLESS ur in the mood for a frame swap. if the rest of ur unibody is in good shape then the M2 would be what i would do.

the suspension sucks especially with low profile 15's on it i feel every groove in the road
have you checked everything on the suspension, worn parts including the steering box will cause that, along w/having the front end out of align. i'd have these check first...joe

·
A Half Crippled Old SOB....
807 Posts
i have seen bolt in M2 but the subframe ones i have seen are all weld in. look at this site where i have posted a ton of vendor sites that i have collects over the years. i would bet someone has what you need...joe

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
pmeisal, questions?

Never did a Econoline but.....

If the econoline is a Falcon/Mustang unibody, they shoud be able to swap parts from any of the Mustang restoration houses. NPD, Mustang Unlimited, etc ? (mustangunlimited.com catalog is on line)

The Granada/Lincoln disc brake swap would work also?

I wouldn't use early Mustang power steering but you can? Use a 19:1 box and no power steering?

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
63 econo,

I was asking pmeisal if they are the same,

he's a walkin' Ford manual,

wait for him to confirm my guesses (and links) are correct

1 - 16 of 16 Posts