Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
only 62-67 novas will just bolt right up. You can upgrade from what you probably have, the old style with a third member to a 64 to 67 10 bolt 8.2. Or if your lucky and find a 12 bolt nova rear. The price on that will be on up there though.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Any 62-67 Nova rear, any 75-80 Granada/Monarch/Versailles rear, any 57-59 Ford rear, any 64-65 Mustang rear, some Mopar A-body rears and possibly an early Bronco rear.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i know nothing will just bolt right up, i guess im looking for about the same length rearend to put in. Do any s10 rear ends measure up the same?

·
Registered
994 Posts
These will bolt right up, I have personal experience with them:
Any 62-67 Nova rear, any 75-80 Granada/Monarch/Versailles rear, any 57-59 Ford rear, any 64-65 Mustang rear.
I've never personally installed a Mopar A-body rear or a Bronco rear, but there is anecdotal info at Steve's Nova Site.
S-10 rears will fit with some mods, and there are a couple of widths you have to choose from. I saw a S-10 disc rear under a 63 but it took some welding.

·
Bowtie or Die!
636 Posts
Im in the same boat pal! Im currently in the process of narrowing a ford 9'' for mine. Moser sold me the housing ends and spring perches, and gave me the exact specs to build my own housing. pinion angle, housing length, center lines etc. Its costing me about 1k to do this. Im using mostly used stuff and getting the axles re splined and shortened. If you need those specs I will list them. I know that seems like alot of money, but when finished I will have a very tough rear end.

·
Registered
994 Posts
63novamn said:
will 66 spindals fit my 63? I got 4 bolt and want to go to 5 bolt.
Yes the 66 spindles will fit. You will also need the steering arm and hubs. The steering stops on the 62-63 lower arms are different and will increase the turning radius if you don't change anything.

·
Registered
99 Posts
65-67 spindles bolt on. you can upgrade to disc's using gm a body parts 68-72, bolt on swap with minor mods. ford granada or lincoln versilles will work ( lincoln had 2 bolt patterns) if you do go to 4 wheel disc's 65-66 corvette manual master cylinder works good. i had this setup on my 66' ss. don't forget if you use the ford or lincoln disc rear make sure to hook up the e-brake or it will not work properly. i had issues at first and that was the problem. adjustable proportioning valve for rears balances system out. good luck! :D

·
just a gearhead in paradise..
459 Posts
67 Deuce 4 Me said:
Im in the same boat pal! Im currently in the process of narrowing a ford 9'' for mine. Moser sold me the housing ends and spring perches, and gave me the exact specs to build my own housing. pinion angle, housing length, center lines etc. Its costing me about 1k to do this. Im using mostly used stuff and getting the axles re splined and shortened. If you need those specs I will list them. I know that seems like alot of money, but when finished I will have a very tough rear end.
please post the specs,. i have a buddy that needs them so he can setup a ford 9 for me. :D

i also have 66 spindles on my car, but i have seen a chrysler 8 3/4" under several novas. supposed to bolt in, but i can't remember what year they came out of. there was a guy that had a post on another site that the s10 rearend in certian later models are same width, but the pearches are different. i think i googled them. or was it on ebay... damm i can't remember.

·
Bowtie or Die!
636 Posts
Here they are :

GM Housing ends
Housing width= 52 1/2"
Pinion offset= 1/2"
Pad center line= 43 1/2"
Pinion angle= 2 deg down
Pads toe in= No
Axle lengths= 29 7/8"& 26 1/2"

These specs are straight from Mosier engineering I called and asked them when I ordered my parts and they gladly helped.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
ford explorer 8.8s are 31 spline and 95 up is disc brakes and theres a bunch of em are 373 geared posi units out there.

if I remember corectly, from what I've read fron those that have done it, the 8.8 has to be narrowed 3 inches on one side then you buy a short side axle out of another salvage yard 8.8 to put in the side you cut. At that point you have a rearend around 2" narrower than the original. you will prob need to adjust the perches. you can have axles redrilled to fit GM wheels.

http://novaresource.org/axle.htm)...

........Year.........A........B...........C
Nova 62-67.....43 1/2..50 3/4....57 3/4
Nova 68-79.....42 3/4..53 1/4....60 1/4
Ford 95-01......39 1/8..53 3/8....60 3/8

Here's a page all about swapping a explorer 8.8 into an S-10 truck, very interesting read

http://s-series.org/component/option,com_tech_article/Itemid,/item,58/task,item/

Mustangsaly

1 - 16 of 16 Posts