Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm a beginner in this game, I've been modifying cars for 2 years. I'm in love with 50's and 60's cars and trucks. My project right now is a 63 2 door Bonneville. The motor(389) is not orginal. I am installing a rebuilt Chevy 350 4 bolt main. Since the motor didn't match,I am adding lots of modern gadgets.
How do I center the motor on the frame so I can tack weld the chevy 350 mounts to the pontiac frame?

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,311 Posts
I just use a measuring tape between the frame rails and center the crank snout. You should shoot for perfect, but if you're off by 1/4" that will be closer than the factory got :)

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,311 Posts
I have a 66 Bonneville with a Caddy 500 and a complete 1-ton chassis including a 14-bolt full floater axle and 8-lugs up front too, a 73 Impala Station wagon with the factory 454 that will be getting a customized 6.5 diesel here soon. Then I have countless other non-running projects all getting ready for some odd engine swap :)

You're going to get a lot of crap for putting a chevy engine in a Poncho, but who cares... its your car.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Man your car collection is awesome. I think engine swapping is a must when you customize an old school. I didn't want to change the motor,but i found out the motor is not original. Once the motor doesn't match I like to customize. My Suburban was all rusted out so I snatched the motor. I really don't care what the people think. I bet there Pontiac doesn't sound like mine. I have headers and dual three chamber Flowmaster exhaust. :mwink: I think Chevy motors are more stronger and dependable. I already have been critized about the engine swap. There both GM motors but Chevy is the best motor. You must have caught alot of slack for your Pontiac engine swap. That is a very nice B ville. I know that big Caddy motor is a beast in there. What is that 500 cubic inches????? I know that big bonny burns rubber forever. If it was up to me I would put a Chevy motor in everything. I will send u some pics soon.

·
Banned
211 Posts
Forever Chevy said:
Man your car collection is awesome. I think engine swapping is a must when you customize an old school. Once the motor doesn't match I like to customize. I think Chevy motors are more stronger and dependable. There both GM motors but Chevy is the best motor. If it was up to me I would put a Chevy motor in everything. I will send u some pics soon.
I think I will stick my face in the toilet now and puke. :rolleyes:

·
Build it right the first time
227 Posts
Forever Chevy said:
Man your car collection is awesome. I think engine swapping is a must when you customize an old school. I think Chevy motors are more stronger and dependable. I already have been critized about the engine swap. There both GM motors but Chevy is the best motor. If it was up to me I would put a Chevy motor in everything. I will send u some pics soon.

:thumbup: AMEN :thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.