Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am attempting to rebuild the rear end of my 64 Chev stepside C-10 PU. It is the original 12 bolt with 3.73 ratio, 17 spline, six stud axles. I purchased a complete bearing rebuild kit and when I took the rear end apart I noticed there were no thrust washers on the spider gears in the carrier. This is an open carrier.

Through research I learned that the 64 did not have thrust washers and that was a weak point in the set up. I noticed that where the carrier and spider gears made contact there was a good deal of wear, I assume do to the lack of a thrust washer. Both were mauled with grooves in the carrier and gears. In addition the teeth of the gears had some mauling so both will need to be replaced.

Here is my question. Can I still use the carrier if I replace the gears with and use thrust washers (those that come with the upgraded 5 on 5 axles) or do I have to replace the entire carrier. Since this is a 3.73 ratio I assume it is a type 4 carrier.

Thanks for any help you can give.

·
High Performance Rear Ends
3,782 Posts
If it was mine I would replace the differential with a new 30 spline Eaton Posi and 30 spline axles. I wouldn't bother with the stock differential and weak 17 spline axles at all.

As for your question, you might be able to use thrust washers as long as the clearance between the gear teeth comes out all right. I doubt that you can use the later 30 spline gears in that differential.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.