Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Hellbilly Hotrods
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a customer dropped off his elky for a disc brake swap. ive already put a pretty hot motor in it for him, so it needs the brakes. i just dont know what setup to use. ive always had good luck with the MP brake products, but looking around i see a lot of different options. i saw that the right stuff detailing has what appears to be a complete setup , with lines and all factory appearance. it is not a resto car, so that isnt important, but it has everything that i need for less than the MP stuff. budget and performance are the main constraints, as well as the 15 inch rallyes.
so what is y'alls experience with the different brake kits and manufacturers, and what would you reccomend?

Michael

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
Classic Performance Products
Classicperform.com

A lot of the disc brake conversions will NOT work with the 15" ralleys

The package I bought for my 59 uses camaro rotors and Chevelle calipers
2"drop-----these might even work with 14" wheels---not sure have not tried it
I also run Ralleys on the 59

Bryan

·
Hellbilly Hotrods
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that looks qbout in line with all the other websites, and they have a 4 wheel kit for the cost of MP fronts. my question is, they say that yuou may have to modify steering arms, etc. did you? or is this more or less a bolt on affair, saving labor costs for the customer?

its bad when the shop owner trys to save the customer money and lose it for himself.....

Michael

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
I used the dropped spindles
The steering arms are part of the spindle casting.

I would think that a steering arm modification would be only minor grinding for clearance or enlarging bolt holes.

If you call them, they will be helpful,

Bryan

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
If you do the rear brakes too go with ones that have a "drum in rotor hat" e-brake. IMO they work much better then the older 70's design of having the e-brake attached to the caliper.

·
Registered
99 Posts
64' el camino disc swap

GM a body 68'-72' spindles will bolt on the 64' in fact the difference between a drum and disc spindle is at the top where the shoes rest against the post. if you were to take a disc brake caliper mounting bracket from a 70' chevelle and bolt it to the bare drum spindle using the lower bolt, swing it into position you would notice it hits the top casting. simply mark and them remove about 3/8's and the bracket will line up and bolt on. the spindles also bolt on with no modifications. when you see disc brake spindles advertised they are selling you a " modified " drum spindle. you don't even have to remove the spindle's if you have a portable saw. use all the lines and other componets from the donor car. the caliper mounts are available aftermarket, rotors,calipers,... 68-74 nova work also, just switch the steering arms side to side. good luck :D

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
55 dude said:
GM a body 68'-72' spindles will bolt on the 64' in fact the difference between a drum and disc spindle is at the top where the shoes rest against the post. if you were to take a disc brake caliper mounting bracket from a 70' chevelle and bolt it to the bare drum spindle using the lower bolt, swing it into position you would notice it hits the top casting. simply mark and them remove about 3/8's and the bracket will line up and bolt on. the spindles also bolt on with no modifications. when you see disc brake spindles advertised they are selling you a " modified " drum spindle. you don't even have to remove the spindle's if you have a portable saw. use all the lines and other componets from the donor car. the caliper mounts are available aftermarket, rotors,calipers,... 68-74 nova work also, just switch the steering arms side to side. good luck :D
Sounds like you've "Been there, Done that!
(must copy this post to pc---future use on my 66 Elky)
:D

Bryan

·
Hellbilly Hotrods
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the help, guys. car will come in january 1st. im looking forward to this one.

Michael

·
Registered
994 Posts
55 dude said:
68-74 nova work also, just switch the steering arms side to side.

Why would you want to use the Nova steering arms? The Elky arms will fit on the spindles and have the correct steering stops and geometry. As you can see here, they are two very different pieces. Elky is on top.

·
Registered
99 Posts
onovakind67 said:

Why would you want to use the Nova steering arms? The Elky arms will fit on the spindles and have the correct steering stops and geometry. As you can see here, they are two very different pieces. Elky is on top.
BRAINFART! this is for camaro swap. a-body does use stock steering arm in the conversion.DUH!! :spank:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts