Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
64Joker
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to replace heater core, blower motor, resistor, switch, etc. on my 64 Impala SS, it appears the heater "mount" bolts go through the firewall and need to be removed from within the engine compartment firewall side, is this correct? Any other tips or cautions I should take into consideration? How do you get to those 2 nuts that run near the fender wells/fender? Thanks in advance!!!

·
"Don't need no V/8"-grandpaw
260 Posts
heater/64

yes the nuts come loose from engine side.You may have to drop inner fender panel.Or, you can use a hole saw and drill an opening.Save cut out and tack with welder.Or,you can drill out stud from pass. side.Sometimes the nuts are real hard to get off. Have fun! :welcome: :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I don't know how hard it is to remove the inner fender on the Impala, but on my '75 GMC truck it was relatively easy. I might have gotten the last nut on the heater box off without taking the inner fender off the truck, but it was nearly impossible to reach from the engine compartment.

I also found that it was hard to push the heater box into place and hold it there while we put the nuts on from the engine compartment side. The firewall insulation gets in the way, and its hard to keep enough horizontal pressure on the box to hold it in place until you get the nuts on the bolts.

Bruce

·
64Joker
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Heater Unit Removed

I was able to remove the heater with all your additional suggestions, thanks!
I had to drop the inner fender cover, which was relatively easy, in order to remove the last two nuts. Now for the install..... Thanks again guys & gals ..

·
64Joker
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Follow-up Question

As stated previously, I was able to remove the interior heater box after dropping the inner fender, now I'm attempting to remove the exterior heater box (under-hood) that contains the heater blower motor.
I removed all the visible bolts, but I can not get to box loose from the corner where the fender meets the hood, does anyone know if there is one last bold in that corner, if so, do I need to remove the fender in order to get to it? Hope not!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.