Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey every body! 64 impala 283 with a rebuilt carb. Car was running then fuel pump broke. Put new one in and car started up fine. Drove around for 2 hours then car just stopped as if I had turned the key. Iwas at a stop sign and it started right up again, drove a block and same thing. Made it home and and now it will start for only a second and die. Did my new mec. Fuel pump take a dump on me or something elec.? Any thoughts? Thanks, David.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. Had some days off and worked on the 64. Turned out it was the fuel filter in the carb was bad. Replaced it and started right up and drove it a little bit. Thanks

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,464 Posts
Think about this for a minute, you changed a part on the car and now it doesn't run. The FIRST thing you go to I don't care how stupid it sounds is THE PART YOU JUST TOUCHED! That it the FIRST thing you look at, it was running before you touched it right?

Now, just running for a few seconds and it will do this over and over, sounds like the ignition. Simply put, literally like the ign is off and you are cranking it over by jumping the starter. That is what it sounds like to me. But it STILL could be something you messed up like the ignition wire going to the coil got knocked off or something.

Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.