Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 2+ years ago, my wife's son mentioned that he wanted to drive a pick-up when he got old enough to drive.
Not a Camaro, Firebird, or, any type of foreign hot rod. Just an old truck :D

As since he has known me (I got him when he was 4 ) I have always had two pick-ups, and a T-Bird.

Now I have 2 pickups (one I bought new when I was 18) and 2 ElCaminos.

Since he is still interested in a pick-up, and I have known about one way out in the boonies (Stockdale, Texas), I finally rounded up the owner and went to have a look-see at this thing. It has not been on the road in over 10 years, so I was not expecting a lot from it when I finally got to see it.

The roof needs some work as it is rusted in a few spots about the rain gutter, but otherwise a great little wideside pick-up. We have another 6 years before he will be able to drive it so I should be able to work on my 66 Elky as well.

This lil truck has a 6-cyl 3-spd and absolutely no dents anywhere. The owner put in a floor shifter and left the column shifter in place :drunk: .
Aside from the roof issues, the rest of the truck is rust free, never wrecked.
Missing only a couple of mouldings, but they are reproduced :D .

Have no idea what size the motor is--BUT IT STARTED IMMEDIATELY, with a shot starter fluid----ran smooth. I did not drive at all--not trusting brakes.

Best part of this----cost me next to nothing----in fact NOTHING!
I travel for work a lot and have accumulated many air miles, so I just get him a ticket to Germany. This barely made a dent in my miles, and i don't use em. The guy is a native of Poland and twice a year he goes back to visit.
He even offered his 87 chev c-10 for free, as he knows I'm thinking about 350 install into the 65--eventually.

For the boy---till he is twenty---he will most likely get a late v-6 and 5-spd for the 65,---but will have a SBC waiting for when he has proved himself.

(nice as this truck is------might do a total restore :mwink: )

Bryan

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
I love to see young kids that want to help work on dads cars.
I have four kids that try to help on my cars.
My eight and ten year old boys are good at doing what I show them.
They can even drive the cars out of the garage. :D

·
Registered
187 Posts
Looks like a nice starter project. Hell, it looks like a nice project period! It's good to hear about a father and son involved in something together. I wish him well.

·
Administrator
18,400 Posts
Excellent..........as long as he doen't want to paint it flat black and call it a rat rod........................ :D :D .....Actually, it probably would look good flat black...........just no sculls...........

Now..lets talk about those airmiles

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I bet that boy is on cloud nine. How many 11 year olds can invite their buds over to see THEIR truck. I can't say enough about the importance of sharing this experience together...for both the boy and for YOU.

·
Get in, sit down, hang on
2,785 Posts
That's a GREAT find!

If it were me, I'd encourage him to buy an old Tempo / Cavalier or whatever as a "beater", and slowly work on a full frame-off restoration on that old truck.

Help him build it the way the way that HE would eventually want it ... (say with a big block 454 for example :mwink: )

Bumping around in the old Tempo will teach him humility, but he could put a bumper sticker on it that says "My OTHER vehicle is a Cadillac". The "cool" factor would get him some respect from his friends as well.

I guess I'm suggesting this course because I was a foolish young man who absolutely wrecked a perfectly good 1955 Pontiac at age 16. :spank:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Great score

I'm with 66gmc on this. Either put as little money into this as you can and let him use it as a beater or get him a beater to drive and help him fix this up into a hot rod for Special Occasions only. The good thing about your working on it together is the more elbow grease he puts into it the kinder he'll treat it and the less you put in the less upset you'll be if he should get in an accident.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Nice to hear what you are doing for and with your boy. :thumbup: :thumbup: You will both remember these times forever. Both my son and daughter (29 and 30) still talk about working on our cars together. My daughter still calls me every year to go to the local car show together and both are really interested in the Nashty. I wish they lived closer so they could help me with this one. Now you just have to get your wife out there helping as well.

·
Registered
329 Posts
1st Truck

That's so cool that you located a truck for him it already looks good im sure he loves it keep up the good work Dad please keep us up-dated on how it's coming along.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Thats one lucky lad. I wish my pop had an interest in that stuff when I was a kid.

Sweet find. Don't get "almost free" stuff like that around here. I love the air miles trick...the barter system is the best.

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Great find!!! Leave the straight 6 in it. A little bore job, some go fast chrome on it, cam, header. OH YEA!!!!! You can make a strraight 6 really run, and it is different. On the 67-72 truck site there are quite a few guys now keeping the original 6's, and dropping the trucks down. It kind of looks like a new trend for cruising.

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Add stuff

Well, one day last week, me & 2 others made arrangements to pick this truck up this afternoon.
Had no idea God was gonna turn So. Texas into a cold swamp today :pain:
I have been somewhat under the weather the last few days (way uncommon),
however, arrangements were made and I had to go get it.
I was brought up in SE Idaho, so cold weather is not really an issue with me, but being sick, cold and wet is no fun at all.
Even the tractor could get no traction to pull it away from the tree.:rolleyes:

So----in order to avoid the "cold weather" assaults from those of you north of the USA border, and those around the lakes, I went ahead and picked it up anyway. :drunk: (NOT BEING A PANSY)

Gonna wait till it dries out before we go get the 82 (brakes/steering donor)(BEING A PANSY))

Gonna go nap in a minute
Feels like death is emminant :pain:

Bryan

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yea, I'm in Houston and it's rained steady since yesturday, plus it's in the 40's. Not good weather for stomping in a field. But, get some rest and dream about how much fun you and your kid are going to have fixin' that truck up. It will be worth it and a good story to tell his kids one day.

·
Administrator
18,400 Posts
What a true rodder wont endure.................. :thumbup:

No "cold weather" assault from me......I have been sicker than the proverbial dog for the last few days too... :drunk: ............Of course, I have an excuse.....It's colder than heck up here..................... :mad:

·
Race The Truck
675 Posts
poncho62 said:
What a true rodder wont endure.................. :thumbup:

No "cold weather" assault from me......I have been sicker than the proverbial dog for the last few days too... :drunk: ............Of course, I have an excuse.....It's colder than heck up here..................... :mad:
LoL, Heck thought all you guy from Canada where down here In AZ with me for the winter. Local MacDonald's next to my house has a bunch. I have talk to a few old guys. LOL There tired of freezing there buts off and they seem to come down for medical care too.

Craig

·
Race The Truck
675 Posts
Bryan59EC said:
Well, one day last week, me & 2 others made arrangements to pick this truck up this afternoon.
Had no idea God was gonna turn So. Texas into a cold swamp today :pain:
I have been somewhat under the weather the last few days (way uncommon),
however, arrangements were made and I had to go get it.
I was brought up in SE Idaho, so cold weather is not really an issue with me, but being sick, cold and wet is no fun at all.
Even the tractor could get no traction to pull it away from the tree.:rolleyes:

So----in order to avoid the "cold weather" assaults from those of you north of the USA border, and those around the lakes, I went ahead and picked it up anyway. :drunk: (NOT BEING A PANSY)

Gonna wait till it dries out before we go get the 82 (brakes/steering donor)(BEING A PANSY))

Gonna go nap in a minute
Feels like death is emminant :pain:

Bryan

Being sick sucks when you have to do things, I bet your son is real happy.
Idaho me to along the Snake River Twin falls, Burley, Rupert

Craig

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ChevyTruckGuy said:
Being sick sucks when you have to do things, I bet your son is real happy.
Idaho me to along the Snake River Twin falls, Burley, Rupert

Craig
Blackfoot, Pocatello, Idaho Falls>>>>Along the Snake

Bryan

1 - 20 of 26 Posts