Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 65 chevy belair. The owner advertises it as an original 396. I know the 396 came out in 65, but I am not sure if I have ever seen one in a belair. Does anyone have any data available on year?

·
Will I ever get it done?
1,027 Posts
If the last 6 digits of the VIN is factory stamped on the id pad (passenger side above the water pump mount) of the block, chances are excellent it is a factory 396 BelAir. If the numbers don't match, it does not necessarily mean it is not the original engine, because they did make mistakes on the assembly line. However, you would need some other, unimpeachable evidence it was the original engine.

I am fairly certain you could get a 409 (early 65 production) and a 396 in the BelAir.

·
Will I ever get it done?
1,027 Posts
I have read about 2800 409 cars but that may have been the SS Impala 409 cars. The 396 wasn't introduced until mid Feb. of 65, so the 65 cars were out for 5 or 6 months before they went to the BB. So I think 2800 is probably closer to correct. The 200 number may have been BelAir production? 2800 still makes it less than 1% of full size production.

Overhaulin did one. It was supposed to be original. Still in the same family that bought it new, IIRC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.