Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 82 has 15 rally wheels, the 65 has aluminum 14's. Should I swap wheels or does the 65 have 14's for a reason? No power brakes, drums front and rear. Any thoughts appreciated. Bob

·
Registered
342 Posts
A guy I used to be friends with owned a '64 Camino he put 15x8 rallys on. They seem to fit okay?

If you're using 15x7 rallys will they interfere with the fender lip like the 15x8s do?

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
I have 7" on my 66
These are plenty wide, although the 8" will probably fit with no issues.
64/65 rear wheel openings are flat across the top--(picture 64 Impala)
66/67 openings are as big as the tires (if there is air in the shocks)

Personally, I think 7" is enough---particularly if the car is lowered a bit

Bryan

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
65 elky tires

My rear wheelwells are round on top, may not be original. I'm not going to race it, so I was thinking 7 or 8 on the rear and 6 on the front?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I think a stock 15x8 rally has a 3.75 backspacing on it.

I know people can squeeze them in under stock '55 Chevy fender wells. And I have a pair of them on the back of my '57 Chevy 150 2-door Wagon.

A 15x7 should pretty good too. I have a couple sets of them that I run.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tires 65 Elky

Also does anyone know if I can use one of those 16" universal spare tires with the 14's I have now?
I got it with my 82 Elky and it works with the 15's on there. Thanks Bob

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Throwaway spares are fine for any car if the bolt pattern is right and yours is.

Just remember these are temporary both in use and in life. Keep them inflated per specifications at all times and check them periodically. After a few years they tend to deteriorate and will let you down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts