Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,
I would like to get my grille chromed. Does anyone happen to know how smooth of a finish I have to have on it before I can send it off? Do I need to sand it all down with 600 grit paper? or would something like 400 work?

also, I have some rust pits. Is my only hope to sand them out, or can I try to fill them with something like a solder or braze?

I was just going to buy a new one, and send it off to get chromed, but I can't seem to find a source of one. the 66 grille seems to be readily accessable, but they are slightly different. I saw one guy that had a 65 camper special that had a chrome grill, but do not know if that was an OEM thing or not. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm going thru the same thing except with a 61 F100 grille. I just can't seem to get any info on a good plater!

The better the finish you send to the plater, the better the finish you get back. I am going to try to find a plater, and ask these questions you and I have and get some info. I'll let you know what they say.

As far as brazing and fill, I have heard that any spots of different materials will show up in the finished product. But I'll ask about it.

Dane

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
talk to your plater before you do any soldering or brazing, as you don't wanna use something that will screw up the finish later on, and i would check out <a href="http://www.advancedplating.com/" target="_blank">this place.</a>

[ April 30, 2003: Message edited by: crazy larry ]</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts