Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although it's received awards, it's not a show car. It's a daily driver with over 500,000 miles since I bought it in '67. The powerglide was replaced with a TH 350 in 2000. The 2bbl 283 is ready for it's 3rd rebuild, but I'm hoping to swap a Ram Jet 350 crate engine this time if anyone can convince me it's reliable enough for a daily driver and has a stock smooth idle.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
Welcome to the site Steve S. :welcome: Lots of info and opinions here. To get the most out of the site check out the Knowledge Base and use the search function for quick answers to your questions. As well check out the Project Journals for info and inspiration. Glad to have you here and enjoy the site. As this is the introduction forum you will get more exposure to your question in the Engine Forum.

·
Registered
14 Posts
re: 65 Impala

Steve, I'm new to this board too and oddly enough I'm doing a frame-off restoration (modified) of a 65 SS Impala. The car was a great California car to start with, but my friend wanted a very nice show quality driver for his wife. I've installed the Ram Jet 350 in the frame already. I can give you some info as I progress, if you like. I'll tell you now that one of the major considerations (besides of purchase of the engine) is the type fuel system you can install. We decided to swap the stock tank for a custom in-board fuel pump type, which isn't cheap. This allows the pump to run cooler and last much longer. The out-board pumps may not perform as long. I wanted more assurance, since the car will be daily driver. Anyway, welcome to the board and let me know if you have questions about this project of mine!

Ronster2

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
65 Impala Ram Jet 350

Ronster2,
I'm going to buy a custom tank from Rick's Hot Rod Shop with an internal pump and baffles that matches the OEM tank. I want to install an 8x10 access door in the trunk floor to R&R the pump & sending unit. Problem is the door will be only 1 1/2" to the rear of the spare tire well in the trunk floor. I'm worried that 1 1/2" won't be enough to support the well when the tire is torqued down. I'm also concerned about the 10" wide door opening cutting through the 2 middle ribs on the trunk floor and leaving inadequate floor strength near the access door. Any thoughts?

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
With the frequency that pumps are changed---never if you are lucky
maybe twice in the lifetime of the car if you are not lucky.

I would not even bother with cutting an access door
not really a good idea to cut thru anything structural without re-inforcing.

I have an electric in the 59 Elky--Ford Bronco tank--with a bypass regulator
(may go Fuel Injection later)
For insurance I also mounted an external pump near the fuel lines, capped the inlet/outlet and left it unplugged.

In the event of a pump failure--stranded somewhere--I just need to swap a couple of fuel lines and plug in the extra pump 10 minutes--just need a screwdriver.

Bryan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Steve, if you're concerned about the trunk floor flexing and bending, I would think your solutions are limited. If your cut will be into the corrugated area of the floor, you may consider purchasing some trunk floor replacement sheet metal and reinforcing the area with strips of the replacement metal around the opening. This would allow you to weld it to both sides. If the area will be into the flat sheet metal in the wall area, I think you would have no trouble installing a flat sheet metal strap brace to this area. I think I'm going to chance longevity of the pump and just do a front drop-down of the tank if it fails. I'll send you a picture of the tank if you would like. Good luck.

Ronster2

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
65 Impala Ram Jet 350

Bryan59EC, I like the idea but 2 questions. How well does your external pump draw fuel through the dead internal pump? Doesn't the dead internal pump block the fuel? Although a carb only needs about 6 - 8 psi to supply the correct volume of fuel, I understand PFI needs about 50. A dead pump might prevent adequate fuel volume.

If the tank is full, how do you prevent a fuel spill when disconnecting your fuel line or hose to swap in the adaptor lines or hoses for the external pump? In-line shutoff valve?

·
Lost in the 60's
15,247 Posts
If you guys would get in the proper forum with this then a lot of others could learn from your discussion. This is the Introduction forum. Thank You.

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
Good Point Henry.

Guess we're just getting carried away.

We have 'engine' & body going on here----where do we go??? :confused:

If you would like to move this---or have it moved, I'm sure no one would mind :p .

Steve---The pump is there only for emergency use. It is mounted about even with the top of the Bronco tank, and is wired into an existing circuit---just not connected to the pump. It will pull thru the internal pump just fine--not sure that it would provide the volume or maintain pressure for serious hotroddig though.------Also a Ford fuel pump inertia switch for safety.

With EFI---may not even be enough to limp home
As for spillage---the sending unit is at the top of the tank--so loss would be minimal----And if I have to slide under a lowered 59 to swap fuel lines-a little spillage will be the least of my concerns.

Bryan

·
Registered
137 Posts
Shift mechansim for TH350 in '65

Steve S said:
The powerglide was replaced with a TH 350 in 2000.
Hi - just wondering what you did for shifter mech when converting to TH350. I just did that on a '65 from a 2sp powerglide, column shift and couldn't find anything - I could find a kit for console shift. I ended up making something but still looking around for something better.
Thanks
Ed

·
Lost in the 60's
15,247 Posts
Go to Jegs or Summit and look at the shifters......B&M has some pretty good ones. They are for console or floor though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shift mechanism for 65 TH350

Sabino56,
My 65 is also a column shift. I bought an entire steering column and trans linkage from a column shift 65 or 66 Caprice that had a 396 & TH 400 since it also shifts the TH 350. Since my original Powerglide column was in better shape, I just used the longer shift lever at the bottom of the column, the 3 speed gear indicator and the linkage to the trans. If you can't find one from a wrecking yard, Classic Industries full size Chevy catalogue B2007 pages 664-666 has conversion parts, but I can't tell if they're for a column shift or floor shift. (800) 854-1280. Or try Shiftworks. You'll also need a trans kick down kit. I think I got mine at B&M.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks for post. I checked into the Classic Industries - long story short - I believe Shiftworks makes those parts. I called them and they are for console shift - they did have an adjustable generic shift kit for column shifters but it didn't address the 2sp to 3sp detent - so I made something which works fine but would like to do better. I didn't think of looking in junk yard - thanks for tip - I didn't know a TH400 came standard back then.
What did you do about the pivot shaft between frame and powerglide? - mine was specific to the powerglide and wouldn't work on TH350 without moving it and making a part for TH350 because of funky powerglide shift lever on transmission. I guess there should be something in junkyard for that also..
Thanks
Ed

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
65 Impala 2dr hdtp

sabino56, the TH400 only came with the 396 V8. I rechecked my notes. I used the shift tube and lever, dial (gear) indicator, the entire shift linkage to the TH400 trans and the lever at the trans. The chassis bracket is the same as the Powerglide. See Assembly Manual page M40-8 for TH400 linkage. See M35-16 for the PG steering column which I think is the same as the TH400 except for the gear indicator and the lever at the bottom of the shift tube that is slightly longer for the TH400 & TH350. (Hopefully I attached them correctly.)

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts