Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, new here. my buddy bought a 65 Rambler and when he drives it it sounds like its not in gear and oddly the driver side hub will turn but not the tire. The gear selector seems loose, I figured that I would ask around for him. any ideas Thanks

·
Member - AMC/Rambler "guru"
1,848 Posts
Spun hub. What you are seeing turn is the end of the axle, not the hub. The hub that the tire (and drake drum) bolts to is separate from the axle, like a 40s Ford. The setup is usually fine, but the engineers weren't planning on the car still being around 57 years later! The axle nut needs to be torqued to 250 ft/lbs. AMC never specified a re-torque interval because it's good for 20-30 years easy. I've noted a few people spinning hubs on 50+ year old cars though. That seems to be the limit! If the bearings were changed at some point and the nut not properly torqued that could be the issue though.

Now for the bad news. It's not an easy fix. Best fix is to find a 63-66 (assuming it's a Classic or Ambassador) parts car and get the driver side axle and hub unit. Needs to be from a car with a V8 or six. 65-66 Classic/Ambo used the big AMC 20 axle even with the 232 six, the 63-64 models had the smaller AMC 15 axle and the small 195.6 OHV six. A handful of fleet cars were made in 65 with the 199 six and AMC 15 axle, but those are rather rare. If the axle has a fill plug in the back cover it's the AMC15. The AMC 20 fill plug is in the front of the cast iron housing to one side of the pinion shaft -- rear cover won't have a plug.

From the factory the axle shaft is a little harder than the hub. New hubs were smooth inside. When they were torqued down on the axle the shallow serrations (splines) on the axle pressed into the softer hub, mating the two parts. The keyway isn't for strength, it's just an alignment key in case the hub had to come off, such as to service the axle end bearings or seals. Once a hub is on an axle it should stay with THAT axle. A few have installed a used hub from another axle, but it may not hold due to differences in the serrations. A used hub from a different axle may also press on the end of the axle too far, causing the edge of the brake drum to contact the backing plate.

·
Administrator
10,122 Posts
ckip33: Welcome to Hotrodders. You posted to a 13 yr old thread. I moved your new question to a new thread. thanks

Reactions: ckip33
1 - 4 of 4 Posts