Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas,

My Chevelle originally came with a manual top. The guy I bought it from let me take a hydraulic set up out of a 66 GTO. (Two cylinders, pump, linkage)

Somewhere I was told that the manual and hydraulic tops were two different beasts and that the hydraulic set up I took won't work with the manual top.

I would love to have a power top, but don't want to trash anything if the set ups aren't compatible. My old A- body service manual doesn't clarify if they are the same or different.

Is this fact or fiction?

·
Administrator
18,633 Posts
If the manual top works well, I wouldn't change it....it must be somewhat of a rarity...................

I bet yopu could get it to work but would have to change some other things. The manual, I bet has these big springs that would have to come off.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,459 Posts
I have a 65 Gran Sport convertible, I would say walk out there and look to see if the top "irons" have a place for the cylinder to mount to. Your assembly manual shows where this happens. If it has this, I would bet you a dollar all cars had the lower mount so you should be in business.

If you need me to go out in the garage and look at something I will.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Manual Top?

Chevelles came with manual convertible tops?

I guess you learn something new every day.

From a Chevelle site:

"Your top mechanism is different,no motor ,no rams,no nylon lines,just big springs added to help you manually pull the top up or down.A power top was an option until 1970 and in 71 they finally made it a standard feature. "

You guys are probably going to laugh, but I didn't realize there were any manual tops on American cars after the 50's (other than the Vette and Allante).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess it would be a good feature for a street racer since it may be a few pounds lighter than the power top.

I'll have to check the linkage for the mounting holes for the clinders. Perhaps some quick pics we can look at.

Thanks for your input fellas.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.