Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 66 mustang coupe with a vinyl top. I was thinking of removing the top when I get the whole thing painted. Is this something that is commonly done?

Basically, I a m looking for thoughts, feedback and opinions as to how to get this done.

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
If you don't want to retain the vinyl top, right before paint is the time to strip it off. It is a nasty job and there may be moulding retainer holes that need to be filled at the same time to take color.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Yes, it's a bit of work and can sometimes hide damage otherwise unseen (hail dents, rust and such) but can be done and looks fine with proper prep. Clean well to get rid of ALL glue residue from the vinyl before priming and it will look cool. :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car is red and I am looking to put some fat racing stripes on it... doesn't go very well with the vinyl top.

My brother has a 68 (black w/ white stripes) and it looks good. But I haven't seen a lot of 66's with racing stripes. Is this something that doesn't get done much due to a slightly less sporty body type, or have I just not been around the right 66's?

·
NEVER use credit cards!
3,110 Posts
my camaro had a vinyl top and i wouldnt mind putting it back on because it has a white interior too. some people just freakin hate them though. i dont. if you do take it off, it's easy to do and paint over after you fix the rusty holes under the trim pieces to the top. you will have to dremel off the little tabs that those trim pieces fit onto, an easy task. i was going to put the stripes on as well as the top, because, again, they are white. i think it's like having stripes with a convertible, but my camaro knowledge is not what it should be as i just got it, so i dont know if it was possible to get a vinyl top with stripes from chevy. or ford either

1 - 5 of 5 Posts