Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum because I just found a 1966 cyclone gt! It's a 289 4 speed car that was originally dark metallic green. Only problem that I'm having is that it has front end damage and these aren't like chevelle,s and camaro,s where you can buy any part that you need out of a catalog!! Did I make a mistake in buying it? If not where am I going to find all the parts to fix it? It's a rust free car witch is hard to believe.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,298 Posts
Nice piece of machinery. I had back in the day a Fairlane GTA, and a Mustang GT pretty decent machines but Ford tended to be shy about selling really powerful engines to anybody that walked through the door so it’s street image kind of lags compared to the competition at the time. But a hot rodder could visit the Ford dealer’s parts counter and turn a 390 GT or GTA Fairlane/Cyclone or Mustang/Cougar into a real meat eater. FoMoCo published a book “Ford Muscle Parts“ with how to and part numbers.

If it doesn’t have disc brakes as they were an option in 66, I highly recommend the conversion from drums. That and a rear anti-sway bar are really good insurance toward keeping the rubber side down on these cars.

Bogie

·
Administrator
18,631 Posts
Welcome.....First, I think you need to see if that frame is bent. It's a unibody and may have to go on a frame machine to get it back in place. Chances are that's why the person sold it.

·
Administrator
8,458 Posts
Nice. The hood can be 'massaged" back into shape. Frames can be straightened.

Your search for the rest is not insurmountable.

Good purchase...IMHO.
There is a LOT to work with there. Be patient.It will come together with perseverence

·
Administrator
8,458 Posts

·
Administrator
8,458 Posts

·
Administrator
8,458 Posts
Frame is likely not bent. There is a small dent in the subframe at the front, below the bend in the hood.Such an easy fix
You can see obviously that is where the car hit something,like a pole,almost like the one in front of it now...LOL

·
Registered
275 Posts
I completely agree with LATECH. Beautiful lines on that car! Combine the fender that he linked along with this hood and you'll be golden for $1500! Sounds like a lot but what would the resale value be? Definitely worth it!

Also, would that hood and some smaller parts be interchangeable with '66 Fairlane pieces? Might be worth looking into.

·
Registered
397 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts