Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there were any tips to beef up a 302 mustang engine i recently purchased, some things to boost up from only about 200 hp. Looking to mark my classic intimidating :evil: ... Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What have you done so far, anything? Do you mean internally and just generally?

The SBF's respond well to the old standby upgrades of headers, free flow exhaust and intake/carb replacement to start with.

Heads are usually the next best thing to replace as the factory items are pretty restrictive exhaust wise.

Of course all the other performance upgrades work as well including better rear gears, stall converters if it's an auto, and so forth.

Most of those changes keep the car driveable as well. Once you get into the area of cam/lifter/drivetrain replacement it gets a little more iffy for a driver.

Just my opinion...
-Stephen

·
Troll Hunter
2,694 Posts
Since it isn't an original engine(302 didn't come out until '68), proably the cheapest option would be a good used 5.0 GT roller motor. You'd be right at the HP you want , maybe higher depending on the year, and with a pan and pick-up swap it wil drop right in.

·
I need a bucket of arc sparks
895 Posts
I would get headers and some good 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" turbo mufflers and run a dual exhaust first. Then I would upgrade the ignition from a points system to a electronic ignition. I would then get a good dual plane intake manifold and run a 500cfm-600cfm carb. The last thing I would do is get some good aftermarket heads and a cam to match them if your budget allows for this. This would be about the best way to increase HP for the least amount of money in this order.

·
Troll Hunter
2,694 Posts
onebadmerc said:
I would get headers and some good 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" turbo mufflers and run a dual exhaust first. Then I would upgrade the ignition from a points system to a electronic ignition. I would then get a good dual plane intake manifold and run a 500cfm-600cfm carb. The last thing I would do is get some good aftermarket heads and a cam to match them if your budget allows for this. This would be about the best way to increase HP for the least amount of money in this order.
Around here you can get good used 5.0 roller engines from between $500 and $1000. You couldn't buy half the pieces listed for that much. He only wants about 200 HP and that is less than most GT engines make, plus they come with factory headers...sure they aren't the best,but are plenty good enough for the HP range he wants. I mean, The HP rating is WITH the factory headers so they have to work well enough for that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think he wants to UP the HP from about 200.

In any manner a roller 5.0 is a great direction to take and a great base engine to build from if the old one is in need of replacement/rebuild.

Plus all those performance parts mentioned can/could be used/re-used and would make it even better.

-Stephen

My First and Only Stang

·
Troll Hunter
2,694 Posts
I stand corrected,I misread his post. I read it as UP to 200, not up the 200. But a roller engine is probably still the best way to go. Depending on the year of the engine/heads that are in the car, they may not have hardened seats(induction factory or installed). The factory cam profile is close to the Hi-Po specs, although hydraulic, and without the emmisions equipment will probably make a little more than the factory rating.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
With stock heads stick to 1 1/2 inch headers, 2 1/4 in exhaust, turbo mufflers.

A good extreme energy flat tappet cam of 212 max from Comp Cams should work with stock heads and rockers. Rollers not needed.

Intake manifold, Performer/ or performer rpm depending on your driving preferences. 600 vac secondary or air valve carb maximum.

Rear springs/shocks will need beefing since wheel hop will be a problem.

All the standard stuff applies. Remember erring on the small side is better for driving performance since you will rarely be above 5500 rpm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.