Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone out there know how to restore these? Can I use aircraft stripper on this material? Can scratches be buffed out somehow and repolished? What materials should be used.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

·
KING OF BONDO
809 Posts
Strip the rocker moldings with whatever you want.. They are aluminum is all.. then seal them with epoxy, and spray your "argent grey" color back over them if you are going for the factory look.. You can also do any body work that needs to be done over the epoxy as well as use regular 2k if you wish to sand them out before you refinish

·
Registered
135 Posts
BondoKing said:
Strip the rocker moldings with whatever you want.. They are aluminum is all.. then seal them with epoxy, and spray your "argent grey" color back over them if you are going for the factory look.. You can also do any body work that needs to be done over the epoxy as well as use regular 2k if you wish to sand them out before you refinish
Never seen a set of 66 mustang rocker panel mouldings that were painted argent from the factory?

They should be anodized alluminum, ribbed portion polished, inset painted black.

I have refurbished a few.

The way I did them was:
Sanded the paint / anodizing off until I got to raw alluminum.
Hammered out the dents from the backside with a trim hammer then used a file to get rid of the hammer marks and level the surface.
Sanded the scratches and file marks out starting with 80 grit and progressing to 400 grit.
Polished the ribs on a Baldor buffer starting with a sisal wheel and emery compound and finishing with a spiral sewn wheel with white rouge.
Cleaned the moldings with laquer thinner.
Lightly scuffed with a scuff pad.
Masked off the ribs
Sprayed black base in the inset
Removed the masking and cleared the entire rocker moulding.

Its a very labor intensive job to do it right. I did a few back when I thought my time was cheaper than buying new mouldings

I have used this same method on several occasions to "save" the race track mouldings on 73-79 f-series ford trucks.

If you are limited on available tools you could skip the motorized buffer and polish them with mothers or similar after sanding up to about 600 grit and just paint the inset with rattle can black and skip the clear . You will have to keep polishing the alluminum frequently though and they won't look as close to original.

Today on a 66 Mustang I would just buy the reproduction mouldings and be done with it. They aren't that expensive (around $90) and are readily available.

On the race track moulding on an f-150 I would still do the refurbishing. New mouldings are quite pricey for those.

·
Paintshop Dog
404 Posts
Beloverby has this nail on the head. As for the "repops", I've yet to see any 60's Mustang trim reproduced worth it's weight in poo! If someone here has a source that is really, actually factory looking, please post who makes it. We've got a 69 Mach I at the shop that we're going to have alot of hours in refurbishing trim on.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Cant speak for 69 trim or any other repro trim for that matter.Im just saying the the 65 rocker moldings i bought looked nice. Got them from NPD.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts