Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I recently just purchased a 67 camaro,and I have a sub frame for a 74 nova with disc brakes,and tubelar control arms,can I use this sub frame under the camaro?

·
Experienced Amateur
252 Posts
Yes, or you could just take the arms and all and bolt em to your Camaro frame. Theyre interchangeable.... ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CDJr said:
Ahhh, I see. Then just switch em out. Now would be a great time to get new bushings too ;)
The nova came factory with a inline 6 will I have to modify to mounts for the big block?

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
6-cylinder frame brackets and mounts are totally different from the V-8 units made for that subframe. Big-blocks used frame brackets that located the engine slightly to the right compared to the small-block location. A BBC will bolt up to SBC frame brackets, but the exhaust and the steering box might be too close for comfort.

Transmission crossmembers are the same for 6 and small-block V-8, but big-block crossmembers offset the trans mount a similar distance to the right.

Just to be sure, check the bumper mounting area on both frames. A guy who had a '74 Nova told me there might be some difference in bolt holes or something, because the '74 Nova had the bumper mounted to shock absorber units, whereas the '73 and older had the bumper mounted solid.

It just occurred to me, the '74 Nova may have the clamshell motor mount system. What I said above applies to the older-type system where the rubber part of the mount system bolts directly to the engine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jimfulco said:
6-cylinder frame brackets and mounts are totally different from the V-8 units made for that subframe. Big-blocks used frame brackets that located the engine slightly to the right compared to the small-block location. A BBC will bolt up to SBC frame brackets, but the exhaust and the steering box might be too close for comfort.

Transmission crossmembers are the same for 6 and small-block V-8, but big-block crossmembers offset the trans mount a similar distance to the right.

Just to be sure, check the bumper mounting area on both frames. A guy who had a '74 Nova told me there might be some difference in bolt holes or something, because the '74 Nova had the bumper mounted to shock absorber units, whereas the '73 and older had the bumper mounted solid.

It just occurred to me, the '74 Nova may have the clamshell motor mount system. What I said above applies to the older-type system where the rubber part of the mount system bolts directly to the engine.
Ye I think the rubber part does bolt to the engine,and the fram on the car is solid,I will probably use aftermarket mount

1 - 7 of 7 Posts