Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the stock Z-bar set-up in my car. I have everything connected but there are two issues. First, the clutch just goes to the floor and does not return unless I pull it up. The pedal spring under the dash is properly connected and I think I have the spring under the hood correct - see photo. There was no engine or tranny when I got the car so I'm not positive on the spring placement. The second problem is that the Z-bar doesn't move the throw out fork more than 1/4". I've removed all slack from the system by adjusting the clutch adjustment rod until there's more pressure on the throw out bearing than there should be. The Z-bar arm sticking up where the clutch rod connects will move about 1-1/2" when I push in the clutch but the bottom arm only moves 1/4". What am I missing here?

Attachments

·
I will endevour to persevere
1,157 Posts
Could you have a lot of slop in one or the other end of the Z bar. If I remember the frame has an L shaped bracket that has a pin or ball that one end of the Zbar rides on. The other end of the Zbar is usually supported by a ball and shaft that screws into the block. That is usually a quick fix. Second are you sure the ZBar is not flipped 180 degrees. The clutch linkage does not set straight down to the Zbar and the Zbar may be on backwards. The clutch linkage should come out of the firewall and go straight to the arm on the Zbar and NOT point at an angle a hint that your linkage may be binding. The z bar should not set sloppy on each end mount make sure that is good. A last thing to check is where the arms on the Zbar mount to the tubing of the Zbar. I have seen many arms torn from the tube and only having 25% of the arm held on and when you push the clutch the arm just bends at the mount. Try some of these things I mentioned and let us know what u find!!:cool:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could you have a lot of slop in one or the other end of the Z bar. If I remember the frame has an L shaped bracket that has a pin or ball that one end of the Zbar rides on. The other end of the Zbar is usually supported by a ball and shaft that screws into the block. That is usually a quick fix. Second are you sure the ZBar is not flipped 180 degrees. The clutch linkage does not set straight down to the Zbar and the Zbar may be on backwards. The clutch linkage should come out of the firewall and go straight to the arm on the Zbar and NOT point at an angle a hint that your linkage may be binding. The z bar should not set sloppy on each end mount make sure that is good. A last thing to check is where the arms on the Zbar mount to the tubing of the Zbar. I have seen many arms torn from the tube and only having 25% of the arm held on and when you push the clutch the arm just bends at the mount. Try some of these things I mentioned and let us know what u find!!:cool:
Thanks Rip, I did have to weld up some cracks on the Z-bar but it all looked solid when I put it back in. Nylon balls the Z-bar rides on were new. The Z-bar has to snake around the steering box so I don't think it's possible to put it in upside down. Between the long tube headers and the steering box I cannot see what's going on where the Z-bar attaches to the frame. There's no slop where it mounts to the bellhousing. I'll keep searching.

·
47 Plymouth Special Deluxe
173 Posts
The spring under the dash is operating correctly; it is an over-center design which provides assist. Without enough resistance from the pressure plate it will go to the floor and stay there.

Was this exact same setup working in the car before? If so, what has changed since the last time it worked? If not, are these new parts? Do you know for sure that they are the correct parts? I'm only asking because the Fairlane z-bar looks almost identical to my 64 Comet z-bar but they are not interchangeable.

Based on your observations there are only two possible problems - either wrong geometry (i.e. wrong or mis-installed parts) or some sort of slop/give/play (cracks may be giving under pressure?) which is not allowing the entire stroke to be transferred to the clutch fork.

I know how frustrating this is as I had a similar problem on my Comet. Good luck!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The spring under the dash is operating correctly; it is an over-center design which provides assist. Without enough resistance from the pressure plate it will go to the floor and stay there.

Was this exact same setup working in the car before? If so, what has changed since the last time it worked? If not, are these new parts? Do you know for sure that they are the correct parts? I'm only asking because the Fairlane z-bar looks almost identical to my 64 Comet z-bar but they are not interchangeable.

Based on your observations there are only two possible problems - either wrong geometry (i.e. wrong or mis-installed parts) or some sort of slop/give/play (cracks may be giving under pressure?) which is not allowing the entire stroke to be transferred to the clutch fork.

I know how frustrating this is as I had a similar problem on my Comet. Good luck!
Agree on the the under dash spring going over center. Note the photos showing another spring from firewall to top arm on Z-bar. Still doesn't come off the floor. I'm going to try to run a video "snake" down there tomorrow and see if the Z-bar pivot on the frame is moving.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.