Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Junkyard Kustoms
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard would it be to rmove the 455 olds mounts to put smaller engine in (351m) in this truck? the mounts have been customed in(so ive been told) i did a small bit of research and the 455 mounts look fairly close to the 429/460 mounts but im still searching for one of them, but im sure that theres not much difference from the 351m's. i had the truck givin to me, so i can throw a bit of money at it unless custom is the only way to go....

is there much difference between the gearing in a 67 9" and a 78 9", since The guy who gave it to me is taking it out, and i have another lying around.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
rear ends

Those rear ends should be almost identical as far as axle width and spring mounting locations. The only thing that may be different is whether they are 28 spline axles or 31 spline. The 28's were used with 6's and small block V-8s, 31's with big blocks. You may find some 28's in trucks that had any of the 351's or 352/ 360's.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
for your rear ends you can pick up one side on each of them and mark the bottoms of the drum and the drive shaft flange and count how many times the flange rotates per one revolution of the drum.3.50 would be a good gear to have.i wish gm made a 3.50 or 3.55 in the 8.5 10 bolt.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
rear end

There should be a sheet metal tag held on with one of the pumpkin bolts that will tell you what gear it has in it.

The gear ratio should be on the rt side, of the top line of letters and numbers stamped in it. There is normally not any . or : in the gear ratio so it will read IE: 3 50 or some such.

·
Junkyard Kustoms
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the truck is a 67 f150

its a 67' f150 and it just a long box regular cab, i think it came with a 390 but im not sure... i know my old 9" from the 78 had a one inch bearing n the yoke. but im not sure about this 67'

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
rear ends

Yes there were some variations on the bearings. I think there were three different sizes used over the years.
Removing the Olds mounts should be no problem, then just install a set of factory frame mounts in the truck.
If I remember correctly, 65-69 used the same frame, and there hasnt been any serious changes in the frame design since then. So I would venture to say an early 70's engine mounts would work great for your M block or Lima. As I mentioned elsewhere, I wouldnt fool with a 351 M unless I already had one in good shape and was just wanting to put together a daily driver. Not to say it wouldnt be worth feeding the 351 a few oats, Like a set of headers and maybe a 4 bbl intake, with a small 4 bbl.

If you are wanting to go with a 351, go with a Winsor. The parts are a lot more plentiful and cheaper.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.