Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm gonna be getting a '67 Mercury Montclair off a buddy of mine soon, and I had a couple questions. It's a former old man car with less than 30k miles, and I will be the third owner. It sat for a few years in the old man's yard before my friend got it and got it running. He made a couple of passes, the best being [email protected] Then the starter went out and it's been sitting ever since (2 years or so).

Anyway, it's a 2bbl, and I was wondering what a good street intake/carb package would work to make it 4bbl. Also, if anyone has any leads on body parts, lemme know. It needs a new bumper and has rust-through in the rockers and quarters. I'll post pics when I can. Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, but I wasn't too sure on the cfm. Any idea how much extra power that will add?

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Dr. Fresh said:
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, but I wasn't too sure on the cfm. Any idea how much extra power that will add?
Probably nothing below 4000 rpm. 20 at 5500.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, or a 427. That would be nice, but I wanna keep it pretty original, so no swaps. I'm just going to replace the carpet, clean out the motor and replace gaskets and seals, and outsource the bodywork and paint when I get money. The only deviations from stock will be the intake/carb swap and dual exhaust. It's actually pretty solid for a car that's been sitting in grass for so long. Haven't checked compression, but the motor ran real strong last time it ran.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Dr. Fresh said:
Yeah, or a 427. That would be nice, but I wanna keep it pretty original, so no swaps. I'm just going to replace the carpet, clean out the motor and replace gaskets and seals, and outsource the bodywork and paint when I get money. The only deviations from stock will be the intake/carb swap and dual exhaust. It's actually pretty solid for a car that's been sitting in grass for so long. Haven't checked compression, but the motor ran real strong last time it ran.

I was not aware that the factory put any 427s in Montclairs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd heard that they did, but I've never seen one. I've only ever seen one other '67 Montclair in my whole life, and the hood was shut and the owner nowhere in sight...

·
Troll Hunter
2,694 Posts
xntrik said:
I was not aware that the factory put any 427s in Montclairs.
I could be mistaken, but since it was the big Merc, I think that a 427( both versions) were available in any of them, just like the big Fords. If any were ordered that way is a good question, probably one of the rarer models if so. By '67 they were attempting to associate the 427 with the mid-sized Fairlanes and Comets though. Maybe the Montclair wasn't as rare as those,LOL.

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
1967 Ford And Mercury FE Engine Options

1967 MERCURY FULL SIZE FE OPTIONS;

• 8 Cylinders 390 H 6.4L 2BL

• 8 Cylinders 428 P 7.0L 4BL

• 8 Cylinders 428 Q 7.0L 4BL

• 8 Cylinders 410 M 6.7L 4BL

1967 FORD FULL SIZE FE OPTIONS;

• 8 Cylinders 428 P 7.0L 4BL HP (Added With Edit)

• 8 Cylinders 427 R 7.0L 4BL (2) Carbs

• 8 Cylinders 427 W 7.0L 4BL HP

• 8 Cylinders 390 Z 6.4L 4BL

-Mercury-Edsel-Lincoln- Engine Forum

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm... interesting. I think they only made around 5,000 or so (maybe it was 1500) Montclairs in '67, so any engine combo is gonna be somewhat rare, with the 2bbl 390 probably being the most common... sucks for me, but this resto isn't going to be professional anyway, so maybe it's better that way. :D

·
Registered
17,612 Posts
In my opinion, the best mod you can do for the FE is equal-length headers and a 2 1/4" dual exhaust system with a "X" or "H" pipe installed right after the collectors. And I'm not a big fan of the fancy-shmancy high-buck mufflers either. Just get a good set of glasspaks (the longest ones that will bolt on the car) and install them with the louver openings facing toward the motor.

Don't cheap-out on the headers though, buy good ones with a quality coating on them. Check with Crites Restoration if you have trouble finding them.

An aftermarket aluminum manifold will improve the induction system of the motor, as well as remove considerable weight off the front end. That'll make the car faster and better handling.

·
Troll Hunter
2,694 Posts
KULTULZ said:
1967 MERCURY FULL SIZE FE OPTIONS;

• 8 Cylinders 428 P 7.0L 4BL

• 8 Cylinders 410 M 6.7L 4BL

Good to know. 427s were always out of my price range, even then, so never really knew which models beside the Fords they came in. '67 was the begining of the " more Lincoln" Mercs. Hell I couldn't even afford a $500 SOHC motor at the Holman -Moody garage sale, although a friend could, 2 of them. Probably the best investment he ever made. I still couldn't afford them when he sold them in the early '90s....or any of the prices he was asking in between.

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
I think you really had to know someone to get a 427 GALAXIE. Not a commonly desired option as it (the engine) was a thumper. The Q-CODE 428 would make a nicer street engine with a few add-on goodies (IMO).

The closest I ever got to the BIG BOYS was a 67 GT-500 that I had and most everything else was a salvage yard special.

What would make this MERC rock is a 460 upgrade... :thumbup:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well..... a 460 would definitely be cool, but I'm not trying to make a fast car out of it. I mean, it runs strong and still has the original drivetrain, so I'll keep the mods to simple bolt-ons.

BTW, here's a couple pics, but they don't show the rust too well. They give you an idea though.

And one in the snow:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts